Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions screwed up for network accounts - How to repair?

Hey community,

I have a serious problem after reinstalling OSX Server 10.8.

What I did:

- Backup all network shares and all /Users/* folders to an external drive for backup reasons.

- Reinstall the recovery of OS X 10.8

- Fully update

- Setting up Open Directory and stuff

- Adding network user through the Server.app

- Copy all the stuff from the backed up Users Folder back to their "new" /Users/* Folders

-> Only the contents of the supfolder (ex: copy: /Backup/NAME/Documents/data.xyz paste into: /Users/NAME/Documents/)

-> So i did not copy/paste the whole Users folder like /Backup/NAME to /Users/ and override the existing "new" NAME-folder.

- Setting permissions for the folder&subfolders /Users/NAME to let NAME have Read-&Write permission

What now happens:

- On network login the homefolder is read correctly from the server

-> So: Finder at the client shows my Homedir with Downloads and Documents and so on

-> Old Files are all readable

- Files are not writable / deletable

-> I get the message that I dont have the correct permissions...

What I tried so far:

- sudo chown NAME:staff /Users/NAME/

- Rightclick-Information checking permissions and giving them to "all subfolder" through the drop-down menu within the Information-Permission area

- "resetpassword" in the recovery mode - was senseless since only local users were shown to reset

- using the Workgroupmanager.app to set the Homefolder

I really hope, that one can give me a last hint, since I literally have no more Idea on what I could try to repair all the permissions for my network accounts.

It is absoluetly weird since "Rightclick-Information" says I have the permissions and the Homedirs are bould to the clients and the files are shown... but not editable.... HELP .. 😟

Mac mini, Server 10.8.2

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 8:15 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2015 2:43 AM in response to jepping

Hello prodman1 and jepping,

@prodman1:

no unfortunately I did not find any reasonable solution. In the end I backed up all the data within the home directory again and deleted my network user account and then recreated it. Now I will try to copy the data using my new network account with the hope of correct permissions...

I will respond if the permissions will work now or not.

//edit: Permissions are still screwed up. Eventhough I am able to copy/paste the backed up files to a new folder somewhere on the hdd or network, I am not able to delete the backed up files nor the newly pasted files ... Thats weird. I copy paste a file and am not able to delete the newly pasted file.... ***?!

@jepping:

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately "sudo chown -R username:staff ~" did not do the trick. I run that command through SSH with admin account, directly in the server terminal and with a cmd-R restart terminal. Nothing helped.

What do you mean by rsync / ditto? Am I right assuming that rsync is something like a backup method? I guess i have read something like that some time.

Apr 28, 2015 6:45 AM in response to HyteRaph

Using Rsync or ditto through the command line will preserve permissions when setup correctly.

A simple: sudo ditto -V /path-of-original-home-folder /path-of-new-location-home-folder usually does the trick just fine.

Read up on the manual of ditto using man ditto.

Followed by a: sudo chown -R username:staff /path-to-homefoldername/ definitely works.

Using the Finder - propagate permissions - might work ok, but the Terminal is easier, faster and does work.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Permissions screwed up for network accounts - How to repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.