Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Yosemite on Mac Pro Early 2008

I seem to be having a problem installing Yosemite on my Mac Pro, 2008. This computer is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, fully up to date. I checked Apple's website to check compatibility and I am understanding my machine is compatible. When I go onto the app store, I get a window saying "OS X 10.10 is not compatible with this system."

The system contains:

2 x 2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon Processor (Quad Core)

8 GB Ram DDR2 ECC (Does it need to be DDR3?)

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

NVIDIA GeForce 120 512 GDDR3

750GB HDD

10.6.8 Snow Leopard

I own a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (15" i7 2.3ghz, GeForce 750) and I connected my laptop to the Mac Pro VIA FireWire 800 (used thunderbolt adapter) and set the Mac Pro into "Target Disk Mode" and used the Yosemite installer and installed it to the HDD on the Mac Pro, but when I booted up the Mac Pro (after it installed), I got the blinking folder of death (Instead of Apple logo, flashing folder with question mark). At this point I had to use the Snow Leopard install disk, and start the Mac Pro using the disk, wipe the HDD and reinstall Snow Leopard and go back to phase one.

Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 11:12 AM

On the laptop make a Yosemite bootable USB install media using

http://liondiskmaker.com/

And boot the desktop from the media and try installing Yosemite.

5 replies

Apr 15, 2015 11:22 AM in response to mattster19901

You said "2 x 2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon Processor (Quad Core)"

Do you really have a two dual-core processors? If so then you do not have a 2008 Mac Pro. The 20 came with qual core processors. If you click on the Apple icon in upper right and select About This Mac what model Maac is listed? A 2008 is 3.1. A 2006 is 1.1 and 2007 is 2.1. Only the 2008 and later can go to higher than Lion without a hack

http://oemden.com/sixty-four-on-thirty-two-sfott/

Installing Yosemite on Mac Pro Early 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.