Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

frigging iTunes!

Hello!

I am using iTunes v10.7 and cannot make it to do what I want it to do.

iTunes always opens whenever I download an audio file from the internet and automatically adds it to the library, whether I want it or not.

This was not happening when using previous versions of the app but, I cannot find a way to make this version of iTunes behave as previous versions did.

The only solution seems to be downgrading iTunes which I once did but can't remember how was it done.

Any help with this issue will be welcome.

Thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 16GB RAM Epson scan/print one-FW HD

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 9:03 AM

48 replies

Apr 16, 2015 10:01 AM in response to Ruben Tomasov

Mac OS X: Double-Clicking a File Opens the Wrong Application - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2291

-= Changing the application used to open all files of a certain kind (written with reference to OSX 10.4 but may not have changed) =-

1) In a Finder window highlight a file of the kind you want to change the application to open that kind of file.

2) While that file is highlighted, select File > Get Info or press command (apple or propeller icon) + i to get a file information window.

3) In the lower part of the info window there is an "open with" menu with a list of applications.

4) If your application is already in the box then it is the default application for opening that kind of file and you don't need to do anything more. Close the get info window.

5) If the application showing in the menu is not the one with which you wish to open the file then select a new application. If your application does not appear there then select the "other..." and track down the application (usually in the Applications folder at the main level of the computer).

6) If you wish to change all files of this type to open with this application in future, make sure the "change all" button is selected.

7) Close the get info window.

If things are opening immediately upon downloading using a browser you may also need to change your browser's application support settings. This is way beyond me to help you with since it really depends upon the browser and I run a 13 year old computer. I know I basically went into my browser settings and told it I didn't want it opening any audio files, so now I go to my download location and play them using my desired player.

Apr 16, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Ruben Tomasov

If you mean all you really wanted to know is how to reinstall and old version of iTunes then why bother posting all the business about files opening in iTunes when you didn't want them to (which is to what I posted several solutions and explanations). With the exception of downloads from the iTunes Store, iTunes on its own does not monitor for new files being downloaded to your computer. If they are opening automatically in iTunes it is something else doing it. If it truly is something else doing it then downgrading iTunes won't help you one bit if that whatever-it-is is saying "open mp3 downloads with the iTunes application" and doesn't care which version..

If you want to know how to install older versions do a general web search and you will find multi page detailed descriptions on how to pull all the bits and pieces of iTunes from various places on your computer and hopefully you have a recent backup of your library files as well as a copy of the version of iTunes you want because Apple only keeps a few versions on its web site.

Apr 16, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Limnos

If you read my posting you'll see that the main problem is why the frigging iTunes application is doing something I don't ask it to do and that there is no way I can stop it from doing.

This is the main problem.

The rest is a commentary about the main problem.

You answered the commentary leaving the main issue out completely.

Not only that but, you called it "Mac OS X: Double-Clicking a File Opens the Wrong Application"

Have I asked about why -Clicking a File Opens the Wrong Application?

I cannot recall having posted such a problem.

So ?

You also say in your reply "... why bother posting all the business about files opening in iTunes ..." but, this is not the issue.

The issue is (I should really tell you to re.read my post, but...) why do audio files downloaded from the internet automatically open in iTunes, got it?

Apr 16, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Ruben Tomasov

You need to explain in clear detail what exactly is happening. How are you downloading them? Through iTunes? Through a browser? Something else? Those are all ways of, "downloading from the Internet".

How are they opening automatically? Immediately upon downloading without your doing anything else? For many people who posted questions using that phrasing in the past 10 years I have been helping here they mean when they clicked on the file it opens automatically in iTunes instead of asking with which application they wish to open the file, so your phrasing is not immediately definitive of the scenario. However, as I have already said, it is possible for a browser to be configured to automatically open a file in a second application the instant the application downloads.

You are leaving me guessing and I am about to give up.

Apr 16, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Ruben Tomasov

iTunes can only play what it has added to the library.

iTunes will only play what it is asked to, adding it to the library if needed.

Clearly something is telling iTunes to play your downloads, but that isn't a setting in iTunes, and downgrading iTunes won't change the behaviour.

Sharing the details of your browser might shed some light on the issue. Perhaps it has an extension you might want to disable.

Changing any default behaviour associated with "opening" files of that type might help if you cannot stop your browser attempting to "open" them.

tt2

Apr 16, 2015 6:17 PM in response to Ruben Tomasov

Ruben Tomasov wrote:

Hello!

I am using iTunes v10.7 and cannot make it to do what I want it to do.

iTunes always opens whenever I download an audio file from the internet and automatically adds it to the library, whether I want it or not.

This was not happening when using previous versions of the app but, I cannot find a way to make this version of iTunes behave as previous versions did.

The only solution seems to be downgrading iTunes which I once did but can't remember how was it done.

Any help with this issue will be welcome.

Thank you

That is a setting in your browser that tells the browser what to do with various kinds of files.

For example, in Firefox, go to Options > Applications, and make sure that the entry for "MP3 Audio" is not set to iTunes.

(Safari and other browsers have similar settings.)

Note that if iTunes plays a file, it immediately adds it to the library, which is what you are seeing.

Apr 16, 2015 8:00 PM in response to ed2345

If things are opening immediately upon downloading using a browser you may also need to change your browser's application support settings.

If they are opening automatically in iTunes it is something else doing it. If it truly is something else doing it then downgrading iTunes won't help you

However, as I have already said, it is possible for a browser to be configured to automatically open a file in a second application the instant the application downloads.

Clearly something is telling iTunes to play your downloads, but that isn't a setting in iTunes, and downgrading iTunes won't change the behaviour.

That is a setting in your browser that tells the browser what to do with various kinds of files.

Do we concur? 😀

Apr 17, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos,

The audio files are mostly downloaded from YouTube.

Once downloaded, without my clicking on the file, iTunes automatically starts and both shows the downloaded file in the library and plays it.

I don't see in Safari anything pointing to how the browser should behave when audio files are downloaded as indicated above.

I have been going through Safari's preferences quite many times but couldn't find anything relating to it.

In the past, it was iTunes the app where you could choose whether it should open a downloaded audio file or not but this possibility was lost.

Apr 17, 2015 8:47 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

It was possible in an earlier version of iTunes, you could choose whether it should open a downloaded audio file or not but this possibility was lost.

Sharing the details of your browser might shed some light on the issue. Perhaps it has an extension you might want to disable.

This is the only pref that relates to the issue:

User uploaded file

where you can see Open "safe"files after downloading box unchecked.

Changing any default behaviour associated with "opening" files of that type might help if you cannot stop your browser attempting to "open" them.

What other default behaviour is there to change (Safari v 5.1.10)?

Apr 17, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Ruben Tomasov

I use iTunes 7.5 There is button in advanced iTunes preferences which sets "Use iTunes for Internet playback" but it isn't specific as to what that means (it may just mean radio streaming). There is no unset option so I don't want to test it. I am guessing it edits any browser configuration files so it sets each browser's settings (as we have been mentioning) to use iTunes. To unset this (at least with my version) you have to go to the browser's settings and do it there, not through iTunes which only sets it. This kind of setting is standard behavior when installing some applications but they almost always ask you something along the lines of"Do you want to use iTunes for Internet playback?" when you are actually installing the application, with the option to say "no".

frigging iTunes!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.