Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages '09 Blurring All Image Graphics When Emailed

NOTE: I am a 20-year graphic design vet with very limited experience in Pages, as far as technical issues go, but a lifetime of Photoshop/image experience.

There are several posts about how Pages images are printing blurry or outputting blurry as PDF.

This is NOT my issue.

On screen, my Pages docs with 300 dpi RGB JPEG images imported as graphics, look perfect on screen and when I export to PDF using Press Quality or Print Quality (high resolution), they export just fine.

But, the client doesn't need PDF files, they want a Pages (and Word) file that I can send them and they will edit the inner content for different things. In this case, it is for them to have a Bid/Estimate template so they can create bids for their clients and they want the actual Pages and Word files to make these edits for each client. Pages is all I'm concerned about here.

When I attach the Pages doc to an email from my Gmail browser window, it blurs all the images, like REALLY bad.

So when they create a bid for a client, they want to send that Pages file (or possibly output that to PDF) to send to their client for approval.

This is not the first time I have imported images into Pages files for things like letterhead templates (a simple logo or ID banner at the top), fax cover sheet templates, etc. I've never encountered this issue before, although I have only done it a few times for rare clients.

This particular file has 4 imported images. 2 full length strips (stacked on top of each other) at the top so I can swap out the very top portion for each different document. One full length image strip at the bottom that has their company services graphic and 1 image along the left edge going up the page that has social network icons and their company name going up the page.

All 4 images are blurred when I send the file. (I will attach samples if I can)

Here's what I have tried so far:

1) I tried reducing each image resolution sizes in Photoshop and re-imported them all. One Pages doc copy had 72dpi images and another Pages doc had 150dpi.

Same image blurring result.

2) I converted all images to TIFF and CMYK color to see if that made a difference.

Same image blurring result.

3) Just out of curiosity, I applied the Reduce File Size feature and all that did was blurred the images in the Pages doc copy.

4) One forum suggested to Quit Pages and got to application folder and Get Info for Pages app and "uncheck" the box that says Open As Low Resolution or something to that effect (I'm not certain that was worded exactly right). There was no such box to check or uncheck on my Get Info dialogue box.

I'm not sure what else to try.

Could this be a Mavericks software issue??? I haven't used Pages '09 since upgrading.

Can anyone please help me? I am desperate for a solution. They needed this yesterday! 🙂

Any help sincerely appreciated. You will be my hero!

Rod (or just call me Utah if you're going by my screen name 🙂)

This is the blurred Pages file as it comes across to the client.

User uploaded file

This is how the Pages doc looks on my screen while open in Pages. It also exports out as a PDF file just fine.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 6:26 PM

Are you sure you are not using Pages 5 instead of Pages '09?

Why are you not using vector pdf graphics?

Peter

7 replies

Apr 15, 2015 12:22 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

This is what I mean by not having much Pages experience. I would have never thought to create vector PDF graphics because no other program I have, would I create PDF vector graphics for importing.

You wouldn't create a PDF vector to import into InDesign. You'd just import the Illustrator vector file as an .ai or .eps.

If you wanted to bring a vector graphic into Photoshop, you'd just copy and paste the vector file from Illustrator to Photoshop. No PDF vector would ever need to be created.

So I would never just conjure up in my brain suddenly out of nowhere, "I need to create a PDF vector file" 😉

But now I know. Thanks.

So, are you saying Pages shouldn't accept hi res JPEGs?

Apr 15, 2015 2:08 PM in response to UtahRugby

UPDATE: If anyone has this same issue and finds themselves here, I have figured it out.

Apparently I had a really old version of Pages that wasn't entirely 'friendly' with Mavericks, which I am still using because I don't know if Yosemite will outdate all my Adobe CS5 suite and other apps.

I had to update iWork '09 to the latest version.

I came across this link: How do I update iWork 09' to the latest version of iWork released on the 22nd?

and it allowed me to upgrade for free, instead of the $19.99 cost seen in the App Store.

The post where the download link is, is about 5 posts down by wscow84 to download the latest iWork. Then you have to open the App Store and Install each individual app, I think.

All seems to work fine now.

Apr 15, 2015 7:36 PM in response to UtahRugby

Pages converts both .ai and .eps to pdf when you drag them in/import them.

I suggested vector because they are smaller/sharper than the bitmaps and totally rescalable. I see nothing that would require bitmaps which are the worst format for this.

You haven't said what you have actually done, other than it seems "upgrade" Pages to Pages 5.? Which is not an upgrade, it is a downgrade.

Peter

Aug 25, 2015 7:08 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I didn't reply because I had already figured this out and moved on. I didn't know there was another reply here.

I explained what I did. I followed the instructions to the link I provided and, yes, upgraded to the newest version of Pages.

The most current version of Pages is 5.5.3 (and this thread is now 4 month old).

Where you might be confused is, iWork had a version 9.3 or something close to that but the actual versions of Pages, Keynote and Numbers (within iWork) had their own individual versions that were different than, say, iWork '09 or iWork 9.3. The actual version of Pages was 5.0 but now it's 5.5. Adobe does the same thing. For instance, Creative Suite 6 is the most current CS but Adobe Illustrator is now at version 16, I believe. I still have CS 5.5.1.

Within the package of Creative Suite 5.5, the Photoshop I have is v12.1, Adobe Illustrator is v15.1 and InDesign was only v7.5.

You can see all the current and past versions of iWork in this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IWork

Pages '09 Blurring All Image Graphics When Emailed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.