Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magic trackpad suddenly lost most functions

I have used my Magic Trackpad since it first came on the market. Today for first time, trying to use most of the functions on my Magic Trackpad, they were unresponsive. I can click, right click, double click, and that seems to be all. In Safari, if I try to swipe back, the screen moves ¼ inch and freezes, at which point I lose both that operability and scrolling, w/ the pad. I cannot 3, 4, or 5 finger swipe up or down, or tap to get any response.

I have the latest OS. I changed over to another Magic Trackpad, and got the same response, or lack of. I changed out the batteries. I also rebooted the Mac Pro to no avail.

I'm flummoxed - what's happening?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 11:49 AM

6 replies

Apr 16, 2015 5:05 AM in response to twims

I upgraded to OS X 10.10.3 recently and my trackpad had some of its multi touch gestures stop working. Initially tap to click, then four finger/three finger swipes became confused. It also started skipping and lagging across the screen, and sometimes would disconnect entirely.

Today the keyboard started doing the same - I think it might be a BlueTooth issue. Disabling WiFi doesn't help at all as someone elsewhere suggested. Apple broke BlueTooth with the software update is my guess.

Apr 16, 2015 5:56 AM in response to Saltank

Saltank - Thanks for a reply.

I did contact Apple about this problem, tho I have an older unsupported machine, a Mac Pro, I thought it was a 10.10.3 problem and supportable. I'm in contact w/ a senior adviser whose now taken my problem to the engineers, and I'll post what the fix might be.

My symptoms happened at once and have been consistent, they started 5 days after the Update. I also hooked up another track pad and had same problem - yes maybe bluetooth related, I don't have a bluetooth keyboard, so I can't say. But that is interesting that your problems are developing around that possibility.

The first tech I spoke to said that she saw that a few people have had somewhat similar issues along these lines (tho the senior adviser did not say as much). Both of course were totally helpful and nice. The senior advisor filed a data report.

EGAD!!! Writing that last sentence - all of a sudden the screen activated the 4 finger upswipe I tried to make 4-5 minutes ago!!! AND NOW I HAVE ALL THE GESTURES BACK AGAIN! WTH? Did something just happen on the Apple side w/ my case behind the scenes? Can they do that? Or is this like what you were saying w/ the disconnecting completely and then coming back? Will this last all day? Is the functionality back? I'll have to wait the day to see...

I'll have to get back to this thread later.

Apr 16, 2015 8:33 AM in response to twims

It might be pure coincidence, because I've had the exact same thing happen, only for everything to go sour again. Just when I think I've fixed it, it starts acting up.

I just tried resetting the NVRAM, and so far looks promising. Just before this, I was at the login screen after restarting, and moving the mouse was next to impossible, I couldn't accurately select the Shut Down button, it was that bad!

Apr 16, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Saltank

One of the first things App Tech Suprt did was to have me reset the NVRM, to no effect for me anyway.

I just got home from work, and all is still going well. Actually snappier, and in fact, one gesture, 4 fingers left or right goes back and forth between screens, never had that before, I've got dual monitors and thought that was why it wouldn't go. So what the heck! I like it.

Another thing I did last night, tho didn't seem to make the difference then, was to download and install the 10.10.3 COMBO. Sometimes when they update a major version of the OS to the next incremental, the more incremental updates the chance there is for them not to mix well, and the combo just updates a homogenous whole. Maybe it took a bit to let the smoke clear for gestures to work again after that, and maybe not.

In my email to the senior advisor this morning, I told her of the positive now-operating change but also mentioned that you said you've seen the operability come and go, and that I'd let time tell if this present working condition blanks out again.

Apr 20, 2015 3:15 PM in response to twims

To date, to update, I've not heard back from Appl Sprt. But I also have had steady optimum gesture performance now from my trackpad. Don't know why it glitched out on me in the first place, nor what procedure I may have performed or not, that brought back the functionality. So far 4 days now w/o a hiccup.

In summary, the only efforts made were to perform the NVRAM (to no particular effect seemingly), and re-installed 10.10.3 - but this time I used the Combo (also w/ no noticeable immediate effect). And out of the blue, operability came back. Magical I'd say.

magic trackpad suddenly lost most functions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.