Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstall Iphoto

Can I uninstall Iphoto now that I've installed the Photos?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 11:42 AM

10 replies

Apr 15, 2015 11:50 AM in response to tcnsun

Can I uninstall Iphoto now that I've installed the Photos?

Is there a special reason, why you would want to do that? Running out of storage, for example?

If you migrated an iPhoto Library, you will not gain much free space by deleting the iPhoto Library and uninstalling iPhoto. Your Photo Library is sharing the photos with the iPhoto Library or Aperture Library. See this link: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

I would wait a bit, before taking this step and uninstalling iPhoto or deleting the library. Check your photos library thoroughly, before you delete if.

If you should discover later, that the migration of your libraries has been faulty and you need to repeat it after repairing your libraries, you will be out of luck. It is hard to reinstall iPhoto, because it is no longer sold at the AppStore.

Remember, it is is just a few days after the first release of Photos as version 1.0. There are very likely some bugs and I would not burn all bridges before the library has been thoroughly tested and you are very confident, that this early Photos release is working well on your Mac.

But to answer your question, yes, you could delete the iPhoto application. Photos does not depend on it and will work. But don't delete anything, without making a full backup, so you can revert this step, if need be.

Apr 15, 2015 12:03 PM in response to tcnsun

I suggest you wait about a week and give Photos a strenuous test drive before you delete the iPhoto app or library. Photos is dumbed down considerable from iPhoto. You may find that there are features in iPhoto that are not in Photos that are important to you and you need.

Deleting the iPhoto Library won't save you any space due to how Photos links to the original files. The only space saving you'll see is the size of the iPhoto application.

User uploaded file

Uninstall Iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.