Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running a 2nd monitor

I bought a Samsung external monitor over the weekend (HDMI version) S22D300 22" monitor & it worked fine when I first plugged it in on Sunday. I worked from home on Monday, started right up no issues.

Tuesday morning no problems! I come home Tuesday after noon & now my iMac won't detect the monitor. I don't even see the "Arrangement" tab in display preferences??

I've tried starting in Safe Mode, resetting PRAM resetting SMC, changed HDMI cable. The only thing I haven't done is buy another thunderbolt adapter to the HDMI.

I've read several threads about it not working from the start but can't find anything in regards to an external monitor that worked & then just arbitrarily stopped working or even being detected by Mac?

Anyone have any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.7Ghz i5, 8GB

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.7Ghz i5, 8GB

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 11:50 AM

3 replies

Apr 22, 2015 2:15 PM in response to ibroker

I'm in exactly the same boat. Worked great for weeks today nothing. And yes the extra monitor is fine, I can stream Netflix on it.

I did unplug it to attach an external Thunderbolt G drive to backup files on then put it away. Hooked the monitor back up with it's Thunderbolt cable & can not get anything. OS does not recognize it's there. When I originally plugged the external monitor up it worked like a charm.

May 6, 2015 3:15 PM in response to ibroker

ibroker - unplug the thunderbolt cable from the back of your monitor & rotate it 180 degrees and reinsert it to see if that works. My Thunderbolt external hard drive would not work when I hooked it up. I don't know why I did it but I rotated the plug and it worked. Reversed the plug on the monitor and it started working too. Had no clue the thunderbolt cable will plug in either way but only work one way, go figure. Let me know if it works out.

Running a 2nd monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.