Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing Photos Through Other Programs

Hopefully this is not a stupid question and that it actually makes sense. I recently updated my iphoto library. Yesterday a photo was sent to me through messenger on my iphone. I saved that photo to my phone and then imported it into my computer. Since it's a picture of my relatives and not of me, I don't feel comfortable uploading it to social media and wanted to just share it directly with a friend through skype. However, I find that when I try to locate a file within my mac so that I can upload it to sites and programs of my choosing, I can no longer access my photo library. Oh, I can find the photo library, but it's not accessible from other programs. I don't want to import the photo through iphoto into mail, messages, airdrop, twitter, facebook, linkedin, vimeo, flickr, 'add to photos', or add to aperture or any of the other options. It's my photo so I should be able to do whatever I want with it.

So, my question is: how in the world do I access the file itself, and send it to somewhere not on the sharing list? And specifically, can I access that file and do anything with it from outside iphoto at all?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 12:27 PM

This is written about iPhoto, but pretty much all of it is true about Photos too.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

5 replies

Apr 15, 2015 12:39 PM in response to Yer_Man

The drag and drop portion of that does work.

Although I will admit that the accessing them through the 'media' and 'photos' thing when you try to open a file through other programs 100% is no longer an option. The only thing you'll find in there is photo booth. Also the 'Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Reveal in Finder -> Original. A Finder window will pop open with the file already selected.' is no longer an option. I don't know about the other options because I didn't try. But so far in order to just be able to access the file however I want to, dragging and dropping it to the desktop is the only thing I've found that works.

Apr 15, 2015 12:58 PM in response to nm7489

when you try to open a file through other programs 100% is no longer an option. The only thing you'll find in there is photo booth

Sure is. I have the option of my Photos, iPhotos and Aperture libraries.

If that's not working for you, try boot into the recovery partition and reinstall the OS. Back up first of course.

Jul 30, 2015 9:09 AM in response to nm7489

I'm having similar problems consistently accessing my photos with the new photo program when I want to access from Facebook. I can post if I use OS X but lose features like tagging before publishing, etc. I'd like to be able to consistently upload from Facebook or other apps and not directly from OS X -- as I did in iPhoto. Sometimes it works but not others. I just created a new album in photo from my photo stream, and it won't show up under albums (as it has other times) for me to be able to access it from the Facebook uplink feature. I see it when I'm in photo, but when I try to access from Facebook uplink, it doesn't show up. I don't understand why it works sometimes but not others.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Jul 30, 2015 11:59 AM in response to ocr19

I can post if I use OS X but lose features like tagging before publishing, etc.

OS X is the operating system on your computer, so no matter what you're doing your using OS X. What browser are you using?

I'd like to be able to consistently upload from Facebook or other apps and not directly from OS X -- as I did in iPhoto.

Again, OS X is the operating system and all other apps run on it, so this is not clear, I'm afraid.

Accessing Photos Through Other Programs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.