Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I uninstall photos for mac?

Can't say I am interested in using this program. When I plug an SD card into my iMac via the SD slot or plug in my CF Card reader to import images to my iMac, photos for mac auto opens and wants me to import said content into its library. So I suppose two questions. A) how do I uninstall photos for mac? B) If this is not possible how do I turn off auto prompt to import content every time I mount a disc? First world problem but seriously efs up work flow.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 1:47 PM

60 replies

Apr 15, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Niel

Deleted iPhoto long ago. I have image capture, which I use to get photos off of my iPhone when I back it up to my iMac. Looked through image capture and didn't see any auto import settings or functions. I usually only open image capture when my iPhone is already connected and then proceed to import iPhone images, video, etc. Is there something I could "break" in terminal in regards to photos for mac? Or perhaps I missed a setting I could flip in image capture? Not sure how a image capture setting would shut off the auto feature for photos for mac. I also looked through photos for mac settings and didn't see anything I could turn off in regards to auto prompt import.

Apr 15, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Old Toad

I do. Several copies in fact. It worked fine on the release day of 10.10.3. But yesterday I gave it another try. It is blocked regardless of which one I try to use from different disks. I even tried using Open With but it wouldn't use iPhoto 9.6.1. It defaulted to Photos. As best I can tell Apple has effectively blocked its usage once you upgrade.

Apr 15, 2015 2:40 PM in response to Niel

Thanks for suggesting the rcd app, hadn't heard of that before.

Ok, I think I've figured it out for now. When you plug in and mount an SD, CF, etc. photos for mac auto prompts import from said media. What I had missed earlier was a small check box in the upper left hand corner (appears blue with "white check mark") with the import tab selected out of the other option tabs along the top (photos, shared, albums, projects, import). When photos for mac auto opens and prompts import you have to UNCHECK the "Open Photos for this device" while the program has its sight on the disc you just mounted. What this appears to do is that it will remember that specific card/disc and the next time you plug it in/mount it, photos for mac will not open and auto prompt. I was hoping that unchecking mentioned box would universally apply to that type card/discs. This is not the case. photos for mac will auto prompt import for everything you mount with media on it until you uncheck the box. It appears to have worked for three different SD/CF cards I have and have mounted them a few times each with no auto prompt import from photos for macs from any of them after unchecking that ****** box.

Long winded but winning. Wish I had spotted this earlier!

Thanks all!

Apr 15, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Old Toad

Shoot!! Now it works. I was going to post images for clarity. Now the sucker runs just fine. Yesterday I had an icon with a no-entry slash across it together with a dialog that said I needed to upgrade. Today it seems happy to open as it had been. There were dozens of posts yesterday about this exact same problem. I thought they were all nuts until I tried it. There I was with all the nuts. Now, I truly was nuts. 😁

Apr 24, 2015 1:03 PM in response to Hvxley

Hi all. I am also interested in removing the software. Don't take much pictures and If I do, I prefer to organise myself simply with folders and photoshop if needed. I never asked for Photos, just as I never asked for iphoto but somehow we are always spooned their latest gizmo which is often time a drag rather than a help. I do not need this, would better save the 50mb for something else, and above all, I do not want to see Photo agent in my activity monitor for no reason, (nor do I need all this icloud stuff by the way which causes more bugs than real added value)

Apple's time would have been better spent making sure 10.10.3 would actually fix wifi instead of recreating the issue, and cleaning up up all the little discrepancies and mismatch that are plaguing yosemite (XPC etc...).

Sorry for the rant, in short: How to really remove Photos?

Apr 28, 2015 5:34 AM in response to Hvxley

Here it is of course. I haven't done anything photo related since the update, only opened Photos once to find out I would never touch again and indeed didn't.

But since Apple's new moto is to mess up usability any way possible, Photo agent somehow managed to overload my system while I was video editing, forcing me to restart.

Why apple? why?

Why are these lines multiplied continuously in my console causing temperature spikes?

Input library: (null), is nil or closing/closed, backtrace: (

0 Moments 0x00000001002c7e6f -[RDMoment(MomentData) assets] + 253

1 MomentsLibrary 0x0000000100969d7b __62-[PLMomentAnalyzer _updateInfoForAllMomentsWithReAnalyzeType:]_block_invoke_2 + 727

2 Moments 0x00000001002cea43 -[MTMomentGenerationDataProvider performBlock:completionHandler:] + 66

3 PhotoFoundation 0x000000010030e278 -[PFDispatchQueue _invoke:] + 89

4 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad7ec13 _dispatch_client_callout + 8

5 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad8c7a1 _dispatch_sync_recurse_invoke + 41

6 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad7ec13 _dispatch_client_callout + 8

7 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad7fe5e _dispatch_barrier_sync_f_invoke + 57

8 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad8c739 _dispatch_barrier_sync_f_recurse + 89

9 PhotoFoundation 0x0000000100313b6e -[_PFFastDispatchQueue dispatchSync:] + 127

10 Moments 0x00000001002ceb52 -[MTMomentGenerationDataProvider performBlock:synchronously:completionHandler:] + 192

11 MomentsLibrary 0x0000000100969a2a __62-[PLMomentAnalyzer _updateInfoForAllMomentsWithReAnalyzeType:]_block_invoke + 546

12 MomentsLibrary 0x000000010095f34b __41-[PLMomentAnalyzer _runBlockOnWorkQueue:]_block_invoke + 207

13 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad83323 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 12

14 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad7ec13 _dispatch_client_callout + 8

15 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad82365 _dispatch_queue_drain + 1100

16 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad83ecc _dispatch_queue_invoke + 202

17 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad816b7 _dispatch_root_queue_drain + 463

18 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff8ad8ffe4 _dispatch_worker_thread3 + 91

19 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff93645637 _pthread_wqthread + 729

20 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff9364340d start_wqthread + 13

)

I never asked for photomoments, Photos or whatever smoke screen gadget you find useful to impose on us. Why don't you make your OS stable to begin with? Don't you know you're playing with people's livelihood?

I restarted and quit the process so it's fixed, don't bother replying, that is until it starts again or some other random process come populate my console, already crowded with a freakin zoo of errors, warnings and irregularities.

The day i'll storm in your HQ will be a photomoment, that's for sure.

Apr 28, 2015 8:17 AM in response to nicohk92

The day i'll storm in your HQ will be a photomoment, that's for sure.

You realize you're not talking to any Apple representatives, here, don't you. We're all just users like yourself. If you want to continue to use iPhoto try what Terence Devlin posted in this topic:

Terence Devlin including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image ends here

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

[DocumentBodyStart:d25bf602-029a-4466-b895-2ab6c98bb4c9]

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

How do I uninstall photos for mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.