Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I limit the amount of space used by photos on my phone - now that I turned iCloud on it is taking over my phone

How do I limit the amount of space used by photos on my phone - now that I turned iCloud on it is taking over my phone

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 1:52 PM

6 replies

Feb 19, 2017 11:51 AM in response to Maahk

I understand this idea but doesn't give any control in uploading and removing taken photos from the iOS device. If you take dozens of photos weekly how can you remove originals but keep the photos.

Plus I need to be able to record video as well so need to make sure there's always at least 1GB for that too.

Any advice or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 18, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Maahk

Hello Maahk,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you would like to optimize your Photos storage. If you are using iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone, please read over the information in the attached article.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

Can I use iCloud Photo Library to save space on my device?

iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos and videos in the original, high-resolution version. Follow these steps to choose how you store your photos and videos on your device:

• In iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera, then select a storage setting.
  • In OS X, click Photos > Preferences > iCloud, then select a storage setting.

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photo Library will keep your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device. Download Originals is the default setting for iOS devices with the free 5 GB storage plan and for all Mac devices.

Have a great day,

Joe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.