Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library on network drive, no longer able to download from store

I have my iTunes library stored on a WD My Cloud drive. Suddenly today I have found that I cannot download anything from the iTunes store (movies or music).

I get an error saying "The required folder cannot be found. Please check that the connection to the network is active and try again."

I have the WD drive mapped to Drive M and my iTunes library points to the iTunes folder on that drive. I have confirmed the drive is up and the connection is good.

I can play music and movies in iTunes from that drive.

I have shut down iTunes and rebooted the computer multiple times.

I'm running Windows 8.1 x64

ITunes version 12.1.2.27

I'm looking for any help at all. I'm getting quite frustrated.

I do have iTunes set to Keep iTunes Media folder organized and also set to Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 3:30 PM

16 replies

Apr 17, 2015 12:19 PM in response to turingtest2

I don't really feel comfortable messing with the permission settings. But I can manually add movies and music to iTunes and it automatically makes a new folder and copies the file into it. So I don't think it's a permissions problem.

That other article you provided doesn't give any way to get the previous version of iTunes. Those instructions say to go back to www.apple.com/itunes/download and it only has the latest version available.

Apr 17, 2015 1:23 PM in response to turingtest2

I don't think anything has changed other than the update to iTunes. I've been running it this way for about 2.5 months and regularly downloading purchased movies. The last movie I downloaded was on 4/11/15 and there was no problem at all. I first discovered the problem on 4/15/15 trying to download some digital copies of a Blu-ray set I purchased.

I'm going to try removing iTunes and install the prior version.

Apr 17, 2015 2:08 PM in response to Michael Napier

I followed the instructions and uninstalled everything and deleted the folders that I had, rebooted and installed iTunes 12.1.1.4. Something may not have worked correctly because when it launched it already had loaded my existing library (from the network drive).

I went ahead and tried to download a song but got the same error as before.

As for creating a new library there is no way I am re-downloading everything I own. Maybe there is a way to create a new library and just move the existing one into it???

Apr 17, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Michael Napier

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes shouldn't affect your library, although sometimes you cannot downgrade to an older build without restoring an older version of the database. So far all versions of iTunes 12 seem to use the same library.

Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced click Reset Cache, and delete the folder called Downloads that can be found inside your media folder. Try again. Any change?

tt2

Apr 17, 2015 2:49 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes shouldn't affect your library, although sometimes you cannot downgrade to an older build without restoring an older version of the database. So far all versions of iTunes 12 seem to use the same library.

Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced click Reset Cache, and delete the folder called Downloads that can be found inside your media folder. Try again. Any change?

tt2

No, that didn't make any difference.

Apr 19, 2015 6:35 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

Is the whole library on the network drive, or just the media folder? Is it a NAS or a shared folder on another Windows machine? A USB connected drive as your primary library with the network drive as backup may be a more robust solution. If you library files are on the system drive see Make a split library portable.

tt2

I had the entire library on the network drive. At one time I used it with just the movies on a drive that was plugged into my router but that was a hassle. So I bought the 4TB network drive hoping this would be an easier solution and I could store everything on it.

It had work fine for a while but I do not know what happened. Nothing I tried worked. I successfully moved my library to my USB 3.0 drive and it is working just fine. I am able to download from the iTunes store now.

Now, I did discover that some movies were missing but I can re-download them easily.

What I don't understand is that if I view my purchases in the iTunes store and tell it to show only movies that are not in my library it shows a whole lot of things that ARE in my library.

iTunes library on network drive, no longer able to download from store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.