Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my Time Capsule without cable internet?

We lost our cable service and are now operating on our resort's wifi. Is it possible to use my time capsule for backup and/or router now that we don't have internet coming in on a cable?

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 5:42 PM

You can use it for backup..

See Using Time Capsule hardwired to Mac for back-up only.

However you cannot use it as internet router with wireless connection.

You can buy an apple express.. or some other brand of wireless bridge.. which will then plug into the TC and use it as router.. this will be double NAT.. but you must have had that before.. the express simply takes the wireless and converts it back to ethernet which the TC needs to work as router.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2015 5:42 PM in response to MichaelHQ

You can use it for backup..

See Using Time Capsule hardwired to Mac for back-up only.

However you cannot use it as internet router with wireless connection.

You can buy an apple express.. or some other brand of wireless bridge.. which will then plug into the TC and use it as router.. this will be double NAT.. but you must have had that before.. the express simply takes the wireless and converts it back to ethernet which the TC needs to work as router.

Apr 16, 2015 8:56 PM in response to MichaelHQ

MichaelHQ wrote:

LaPastenague,

I appreciate the reply. I'm not extremely technical but are you saying that if I buy this Apple Express, , it will pick up the wifi signal here in my resort, convert it back and I can connect a cable from the Apple Express back to my Time Capsule and it will once again automatically back up my computers wirelessly?

Yes,, the exact detail is a bit more complicated but the setup of it should be easy enough..

Happy to work it through with you once you get a suitable bridge.. express is one option which might be useful later.. however there are plenty of wireless bridges available cheaper than the express... albeit to an Apple person not so useful.

Apr 16, 2015 9:11 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague,

Again, thanks so much. You're very gracious. I may just take you up on your offer of help. I prefer Apple products but is the Apple Express any harder to set up than maybe some of the others you're familiar with?

A little background: We lost our high speed cable so now are stuck with an in-house wifi signal in the RV "resort" we live in. My Apple Time Capsule won't work without a cable going into it, and we have an automated lighting hub also that needs a cable connection. I don't suppose this bridge might work with my DirectV set up for accessing "on demand", that would be asking too much.

Unless you advise otherwise I think I'll order the Apple: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC414LL/A/airport-express?fnode=f23ecae3e7a6f7 5477ad464b0bcb4ffcc969eaf907aee3ffcb2bce…

Just want to be sure this is the one. The way the literature reads, it sounds like a router. You've been so helpful...I didn't know any such device even existed.

Regards,

Michael

Apr 16, 2015 11:43 PM in response to MichaelHQ

The express is fine and easy to setup.. you are not using it to its full capacity but at some point you will likely have a different setup so the express can still be useful.

You set it up in join wireless mode.. it is pretty well automated by the setup utility.

Once you get it to that point you can plug in the TC and set that up as well which is when the rather tricky stuff happens.. you need to double NAT .. don't worry what this means. it is just a requirement and you cannot get away from so live with it..

You will find internet will be limited though.. particularly interactive stuff.

However you can still make a connection to the main wifi of the hotel in another computer to bypass the problem.

Once you get to the point tell me and we can lead you through any issues in the setup.

Apr 21, 2015 5:11 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenagu

I think I've made a mess. I got my Airport Express, I'm trying to follow the directions but I am having zero luck getting this hooked up properly. At one point my computer recognized the AE and I set it up with a password and name but it stopped working and now I can't get it to do anything. Any ideas? After looking over the instructions I must say the terminology is pretty much over my head. What I'm trying to do is use this AE to pick up my resort's wifi and enable me to connect my DirecTV with a cable and also I'd like to connect my Time Capsule. Maybe you could refer me to a good "Air Express for Dummies" publication! 😁

Apr 21, 2015 5:27 PM in response to MichaelHQ

I am not an express fan.. but what I need to help you is screenshots from your airport utility.

I think it would be smart to

1. Factory reset the Express.. it is lost and if you run Yosemite that is no surprise.

2. If you use iphone or ipad then try using the airport utility in that to do the setup.. it is better than Yosemite.

3. If you do it from computer.. try plugging the express LAN port to the computer.. Leave the TC off.. so there is no Apple wifi to connect to. And turn off the wireless in the computer.. delete all the current wireless names.. then turn wireless back on again.. You want it to be usable by the airport utility but not linked to the resort wifi.

Then start the setup..

Apple do make logical choices based on how you have the express configured.. if it finds itself in this setup it might actually work..

If it does not come up with correct setup then choose from options.

Here is how I did it on airport time capsule..

The utility picks something.. I do not want it to extend.. so click options.

User uploaded file

I want to add it to an existing network.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

In your case you would add to existing network.. and the option to Join a wireless network should be there.

If you cannot make sense of it I will get Bob Timmons to help as he uses this setup often and knows it very well using the Express.

Can I use my Time Capsule without cable internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.