Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth

Hi there -

I'm having intermittent problems with my iMac which is only about 6 months old ... running OS X Yosemite (all up to date). The problem is the Bluetooth sometimes stops working. Usually this happens when the computer has been sleeping - when I wake it up sometimes the wireless magic mouse and wireless keyboard do not respond. The bluetooth settings show that they are both connected, but for whatever reason they aren't actually connected. I've tried recycling the bluetooth off/on to try and reset it, or sometimes do the same with the two components (mouse/keyboard) but when I do this I just get the spinning colour wheel - generally it will do this for a long time (15-20 mins) before it quits and says that the components are NOT connected. From there, any attempts to reconnect them fails. The only fix I have is turning the computer off/on, which fixes the problem. I had a cordless phone beside the computer and thought maybe this was causing interference, but I've since moved it away and the problem remains. Any ideas? Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 3:06 PM

8 replies

Apr 15, 2015 8:34 PM in response to elbarko

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combinationcommand-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Apr 16, 2015 3:09 PM in response to Linc Davis

So ... that didn't work, unfortunately. The procedure went just like you described, but the next time the computer went to sleep, the problem was still there - no Bluetooth. I've done the temporary fix of changing my settings to not allow the computer to sleep, so that's working but not an ideal solution. Thanks for the help anyways - any other thoughts or ideas?

Apr 16, 2015 4:42 PM in response to elbarko

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.