Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trying to plan some games,screen wont go to landscape.

I have the Ipad Air 2 which does not have the side switch. It says to use the control center. When I brought up the control center, did not have the icon for the orientation. Is it that you cannot play some games in landscape, because that is somewhat annoying. I think it is Brain age and monster busters that I was trying to pla.

iPad Air, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 4:42 PM

13 replies

Apr 15, 2015 5:15 PM in response to susanfrommaple valley

There are some apps and games that will not run in landscape orientation. The icon for orientation is a lock icon. You will see it here to the right of the bell icon, on the top row of icons. It is a screen orientation lock. If the app that you want to use will not work in landscape, unlocking the orientation will not matter.

IF the icon is white, then it is enabled or in this case the orientation would be locked. In the screenshot below, my screen orientation is unlocked.

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2015 3:13 AM in response to susanfrommaple valley

I have an iPad Air 2 and that is what I used to create the screenshot. You have to be running iOS 8 so the icon should be there. Assuming that your iPad has no been jailbroken or hacked, I'm not sure why you do not see the icon. Can you see it when you use other apps or when you are on the home screen? Do you see the padlock icon on the screen indicating that the screen orientation is actually locked?

Try a reset and see if the icon appears. Hold down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen and then let go of the buttons and let the iPad start up. You will not lose any data. This is much like rebooting your computer.

Apr 17, 2015 4:41 PM in response to susanfrommaple valley

IF you don't know what jailbreak is, that's a good thing. It is hacking your device so that you can do unauthorized things on it. I just wanted to make sure that you hadn't done something intentionally to circumvent the operating system. Your fine with that, so no worries.

IF you have AppleCare+, by all means call Apple. I just don't want to see you pay $29.00 or whatever it is that they charge for phone support. Anyway, so you see the padlock icon in the upper right corner of the screen?

Apr 25, 2015 7:34 AM in response to susanfrommaple valley

Not sure if anyone mentioned or suggested quitting all apps and resetting the ipad. Sometimes the simplest thing is what works. To quit an app double click the Home button to reveal the app switcher. Flick up on the page preview of the app you want to quit. The page preview will fly away and disappear. That quits the app. Do this for all apps in the app switcher. Then reset the iPad. Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button continuously until the Apple logo appears. Then release the button and let the device restart. You will not lose data doing this. It's like a computer reboot.

Apr 25, 2015 10:21 AM in response to susanfrommaple valley

The curse of the long thread was a failed attemped at humor with Demo. I was late to the discussion, so I skimmed read it and missed that Demo had already asked the question I asked. With the removal of the side switch and always having both the Mute and Lock-Rotation in the Control Center I was trying to determine if the Lock-Rotation icon disappeared when there is no use for it, for example a game that is designed to be played in portrait mode.

trying to plan some games,screen wont go to landscape.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.