Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reformat and Reinstall OS X Server - Keep Data Store

OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 on a Mac Mini Late 2012, 2.5 GHz, 16 GB. Server version 4 (14S333)

Running the following services:

• Caching
  • Calendar
  • Contacts
  • File Sharing
  • Mail
  • Profile Manager
  • Time Machine
  • DNS
  • Open Directory

I moved my service data and file shares to an external hard drive. When I format my startup hard drive, reinstall the operating system and server, what do I have to do to connect to the service data on my external hard drive? I imagine that I have to establish user accounts with the same credentials.

Really, what I am after is that I'm trying to get Profile Manager to work right with my iOS devices. And I have a wide variety of them (about 12 of them). None of them work. They get a profile installation failure. The research I've done seems to point to just reformat and reinstall. But in doing so, I don't want to lose the service data. Any help you can provide, please...I need reassurance that when I reinstall everything, I'll be able to have access to the data store again.

Thank you for your direction.

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 5:15 PM

2 replies

Apr 18, 2015 6:15 AM in response to mikey12345

Hi,

Based on your succes of getting profile manager to work until now, I wouldn't recommend reconnecting any services to old data.

Export any data per service like calendar through a calendar client.app and my advice would be: Start over.

First of all, get a fixed IP adress, a FQDN available from the internet and DNS up and running and get it right. Check and recheck with the right tools in the server.app (top left corner, select your server and go to "overview") and from the terminal:

host your-ip-address

host your-domain-name

sudo changeip -checkhostname

When you have everything up and running, then continue with a validated external certificate or create a self signed certificate and start profilemanager.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Reformat and Reinstall OS X Server - Keep Data Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.