Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install a LaserWriter Pro 630 postscript ppd into Mavericks?

Currently running Mavericks (10.9.5) on an 2007 iMac. I have an older G4 tower running Mac OS 10.4.11 and acts as printer server for an old Apple LaserWriter Pro 630 which has been running just fine. I had to dump my Printer set ups on my iMac and wanted to re-set up the G4 - Pro 630 printer. But the .ppd file is not available in Mavericks (nor has it been for a while). Prior the ppd setup had migrated with my various upgrades as was working just fine until the dump. So the older .ppd files do work.

I remember there being an Apple tech paper that described how to copy a Apple LaserWriter .ppd file from the older Mac OS 10.3.x and 10.4.x systems into the new OS 10.x.x systems. Can no longer find the paper, would anyone know where it could be found?

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 6GB Ram

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 8:41 PM

Finally found the answer in a semi-related question. Just in case some else wants to use a legacy Apple postscript printer the basic method is to copy the PPD file from your older Mac OS 10.4.x or 10.5.x or 10.6.x as noted below. Then place the copied PPD into the Library folder on the root directory (and not the Library in the "System" folder). In the Mavericks scenario > Library > Printers > PPDs > Contents > Resources.

In my case I copied my required PPD (LaserWriter Pro 630v2010.130.gz) from my old Mac G4 running OS 10.4.11

From this found posting else where:

Get hold of the PPD file with the name "LaserWriter 12_640 PS.gz" from OS X 10.6. I copied this PPD from my old Mac Pro G5. The file is in System > Library > Printers > PPDs.

Put that file in your Lion or Mountain Lion System > Library > Printers > PPDs with the other PPD files.

Thanks to Frank Melis' post from two years ago. My Apple LaserWriter in now 22 years old and still running fine. Just replaced the toner cartridge last year so hope it still runs for a while longer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2015 8:41 PM in response to Bob Rutkay

Finally found the answer in a semi-related question. Just in case some else wants to use a legacy Apple postscript printer the basic method is to copy the PPD file from your older Mac OS 10.4.x or 10.5.x or 10.6.x as noted below. Then place the copied PPD into the Library folder on the root directory (and not the Library in the "System" folder). In the Mavericks scenario > Library > Printers > PPDs > Contents > Resources.

In my case I copied my required PPD (LaserWriter Pro 630v2010.130.gz) from my old Mac G4 running OS 10.4.11

From this found posting else where:

Get hold of the PPD file with the name "LaserWriter 12_640 PS.gz" from OS X 10.6. I copied this PPD from my old Mac Pro G5. The file is in System > Library > Printers > PPDs.

Put that file in your Lion or Mountain Lion System > Library > Printers > PPDs with the other PPD files.

Thanks to Frank Melis' post from two years ago. My Apple LaserWriter in now 22 years old and still running fine. Just replaced the toner cartridge last year so hope it still runs for a while longer.

How to install a LaserWriter Pro 630 postscript ppd into Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.