Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This version of Xcode cannot be used with OS X Server"

Ran all the updates on the Mac mini for 10.10.3 and associated items. That included Xcode 6.3 (from the App Store). Started Server.app and it asked to choose a new version of Xcode. Did so and it gives the error in the heading.

Never seen this happen before. Stuffs up any chance of using testing bots. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 5:52 PM

11 replies

Apr 20, 2015 3:59 AM in response to ThisCorrosion

I found it started working if I left it alone for a while. After being contacted by an Apple engineer on Twitter it seems that after everything is updated it takes a while for it to run all of the initialisations. So the approach seems to be:

1) Update OS X, Server.app and Xcode

2) Reboot, start up Server.app and leave it alone until Spotlight has stopped grinding away

3) Start up Xcode and give it a few minutes while it runs all the new initialisation processing

4) Select the Xcode item in Server.app and attach the new version of Xcode

It does seem to get there eventually but isn't helped by the worryingly incorrect error message.

May 18, 2015 2:04 PM in response to ThisCorrosion

I have the same versions that you have and noticed this happened to me as well. The issue I experienced is that while configuring Xcode on the OS X Server, the software requires specific permissions to exists in many various directories. I think it may be that the install of the latest Xcode (not sure) may have hosed the permissions.

The way to fix this is to open the Disk Manager from utilities and then select the volume that you run this on. On the First Aid tab, choose either Verify Permissions (on the lower left) or Repair Permissions and let it run. After it completes, restart the machine and try again to choose the latest version of Xcode. With luck, you'll find it works fine now.

Hope this helps.

Aug 4, 2015 11:35 AM in response to FixMaestro

I have tried doing the fix permissions. My OS X server works with Xcode when I reboot the machine an start it up fresh.

After it sitting for a day or two it manages to lose the Xcode connection and tells me I need to Select the version of Xcode again even though I have already set it. Bots will stop doing their On Commit runs as it can no longer attach to xcode.

No updates have been done during this time, the server has not changed IP and I have no server alerts pending it just loses its connection.

Rebooting OS X Server does not fix it. Occasionally if I turn of Server for a bit and wait an hour it will then find the connection again on starting the app but restarting the machine and launching Server will fix the issue. For a CI environment I cannot keep restarting the machine for it to work it should just work as long as the machine is on and server app is running.

Is there a way to fix this or will I have to wait for the next version of OS X Server and Xcode for things to work better?

Aug 4, 2015 11:55 AM in response to BobbyDubWork

I am having the same issue, where Xcode Server seems to forget the Xcode.app that I had selected.

If you can't find an answer in the forums, I would suggest filing an actual bug so that Apple is aware of the issue. I don't think it's easy for their development teams to track bugs that appear as posts in their user communities.

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

I am a little nervous that Xcode Server isn't ready for prime time yet, based on the number of severe bugs I've run into trying to accomplish even the simplest tasks (like selecting a version of Xcode to use). Filing a bug is my best option for improving the product.

"This version of Xcode cannot be used with OS X Server"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.