Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone battery notification when fully charged

Hello,

I am using iPhone for more than a year now and I enjoy every bit of it.

My question is - Why iOS doesn't notify when iPhone is fully charged? Also, I believe nobody likes to rely on third party app(s) for such notification(s).

It is a serious bug and Apple really needs to look into it. Hope it gets fixed in next update(s).

Best Regards,

Rahul

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2017 6:21 AM

freakvent wrote:

Exactly. I often find myself wanting to top up my phone to 100% before I go somewhere. I'm not in a rush to leave, but at the same time I do want to leave as soon as it's at 100%.

You can certainly submit your feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Meanwhile, you'll just need to look at the phone occasionally. Or, get a small external battery pack (a good thing anyway) so that you won't have to worry about topping off the phone before leaving.

86 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2017 6:21 AM in response to freakvent

freakvent wrote:

Exactly. I often find myself wanting to top up my phone to 100% before I go somewhere. I'm not in a rush to leave, but at the same time I do want to leave as soon as it's at 100%.

You can certainly submit your feedback to Apple here:

Meanwhile, you'll just need to look at the phone occasionally. Or, get a small external battery pack (a good thing anyway) so that you won't have to worry about topping off the phone before leaving.

Dec 1, 2017 7:25 AM in response to chrisjamero

chrisjamero wrote:

I think it's because we were brought up by our parents to not waste power/electricity (money in this case because of plugged devices that aren't being used). Most important of all I believe, is to avoid fire. I know technology have come so far, but the thought of safety seem to be staying with me.

I guess I was lucky. I was brought up by an electrician who grew up during the depression. We washed and reused aluminum foil but we never unplugged anything. I'm pretty certain that if it would have cost more money, Dad would have had us unplug things.

So yeah, I need the feature. It might be for a few but it doesn't hurt to add an enable/disable setting. I mean iOS seems to bloating with options right now. JMO.

Submit your feedback to Apple requesting such a feature here:

May 8, 2017 6:22 AM in response to Michael Black

I have just been told in the Apple Store that in fact the most damaging thing is to leave an iPhone plugged in after it reaches 100%.

I said in response to this then that firstly Apple should design their chargers to stop charging the phone when it does so, and secondly that they could at least have an in-built notification (alarm) to hear when it's 100% so you can remove it from charge without having to check it constantly.

The Apple representative told me there was an app for this that he couldn't remember the name of & so I just looked it up, which is how I came across this thread.

Now I don't know what to do for the best! I don't know if this answer regarding it being fine to leave them plugged in when at 100% still applies to an iPhone 7?

May 8, 2017 6:33 AM in response to sophs08

The Apple reresentative was misinformed. He or she needs to read Apple's own information on this very subject right here on this web site. The International SMART lithium battery standards date back to the 1990s and they include, and have always included, complete overcharge protection.

Every single Apple product every made in the last 20 years that has used lithium power cells can be left plugged in as long as you like - MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple Watch, etc, etc, etc - any and every single device ever made or sold by Apple using lithium batteries will be fine if left plugged in after charging. Millions of Apple device users all over the planet have been doing that for decades.

This is not new nor novel technology. Do you micromanage the charging and unplugging of your lithium powered toothbrush, electric shaver, battery powered lawn tools, laptop, game console controllers, etc? They all use the same lithium battery technology. They all include the same industry standard over charge protections and they all can be left plugged in once fully charged without harm.

Jul 8, 2017 3:01 AM in response to robble808

That people can't imagine this scenario, and instead go on about how there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to care about when the charge has reached 100% is... well, let's say surprising.

Oct 28, 2017 7:13 AM in response to Jensen66

Your question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. What you're referring to as 'heckling' would seem to be related to the fact that we need to repeat ourselves multiple times when stating a fact as some people just can't seem to grasp the fact that there is NO notification sound when charting is complete on the iPhone.

Which brings us to your issue. There is no audible notification when charging of your watch is complete. You'll just have to go look at it to see where it's at. There is no requirement that you charge it completely to 100% before putting it on.

Nov 30, 2017 8:05 PM in response to rahul.bhat

Funny stumbling on this old thread. Well yeah, was looking for an answer too (found some apps). I've read all the reply's but I'm one of those device users who are too cautious when it comes to overcharging, or having any device plugged in electric outlets. I think it's because we were brought up by our parents to not waste power/electricity (money in this case because of plugged devices that aren't being used). Most important of all I believe, is to avoid fire. I know technology have come so far, but the thought of safety seem to be staying with me.

So yeah, I need the feature. It might be for a few but it doesn't hurt to add an enable/disable setting. I mean iOS seems to bloating with options right now. JMO.

Dec 1, 2017 12:03 PM in response to chrisjamero

chrisjamero wrote:

No, you do not need the feature. Charging STOPS at 100%. The charging current goes to ZERO. I know, because I have measured it. You can make an argument for unplugging the USB adapter from the wall, but not for just the phone.

Dec 1, 2017 5:21 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

No, you do not need the feature. Charging STOPS at 100%. The charging current goes to ZERO. I know, because I have measured it. You can make an argument for unplugging the USB adapter from the wall, but not for just the phone.

I don't care if charging stops at 100%. I'm a busy working person, I don't like looking at the screen of my phone every time just to see if it's 100% yet or not. And like I said, we were brought up to unplug electronic devices, no matter how safe you say a device is, you can never tell when an accident may happen. I need the notification, like I need notifications when receiving text messages, or calls, or emails. It's a simple function, just like you know, Bluetooth sharing for other devices(non Apple) that Apple can't seem to make.

Dec 1, 2017 5:29 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I guess I was lucky. I was brought up by an electrician who grew up during the depression. We washed and reused aluminum foil but we never unplugged anything. I'm pretty certain that if it would have cost more money, Dad would have had us unplug things.

I came from a poor family. At the age of 3, I experienced getting my hands and feet soaked in the mud on rice fields. Also living in a third world country, hence we need to save up as much as possible to pay bills. Luckily I got through all of the hardships, but saving was instilled in my mind. Hence never bought a car thinking of the environment, and I love meeting people.

Dec 2, 2017 12:21 PM in response to chrisjamero

An Apple Store representative told my mother once that the iPhones have a “limited number of charges”. By this he meant that each time you charge your phone, the life of the phone’s battery diminishes. Eventually the phone’s battery will become weak and even after you charge your phone to 100%, it will die faster because the battery’s life shortened due to its usage. After hearing this, one would assume if you leave your phone plugged in after it has been fully charged, you’re also using up the overall lifespan of the battery little by little. Could be BS. Could be not. Depends on the evolution of battery technology, I suppose.

Dec 2, 2017 12:42 PM in response to DJMT1287

While most of the information that you have included in your post is truthful, some is not presented correctly.

While the lithium-ion batteries used in Apple devices do have a limited number of charge cycles, that is based on full cycles, not partial cycles that occur when you plug in the phone after a minimal depletion, or when you do not charge it to 100%. It can take multiple charges to equal a single charge cycle. The part about leaving the phone plugged in after fully charging using up lifespan little by little however is completely false. The iPhone will charge the battery to 100% and then charging ceases. It does not use any additional charge cycles being plugged in.

Early battery technology was different, and leaving devices plugged in with older technology batteries could cause damage, that is no longer the case. I plug my iPhone in before I go to bed every night, no matter what the charge status is of the battery. Not only am I assured that I wake up to a 100% charged device for the day, I also get an automatic iCloud backup done when the iPhone is connected to wi-fi, plugged in, and locked.

iPhone battery notification when fully charged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.