Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery life is terrible

I do have on older MacBook Pro, and I know the batter life will start to decrease as it gets older, but I didn't even get an hour and a half out of it whilst just having a few webpages open to some lecture notes for uni not really doing anything without anything in the background. (CPU was around 1-2%)

The screen wasn't super bright either.

I came online to try see what it might be, because it's only been recently (like the last few weeks) and found a screen shot of someones power usage information thing (under system report, power) their computer was running about 400ish mA, mine's up at 3080?

Any reason for this or way to bring it down? (Or is this normal and I was looking at something weird?)

Thank's.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 9:50 PM

5 replies

Apr 16, 2015 5:15 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Battery was never abused, always pulled the charger out as soon as it had finished charging and only plugged it back in when it needed it, it is VERY old, but it's still been up at around 5 hours even with videos, Skype and some other things in the background until about a month ago where it suddenly stopped even lasting an hour and a bit at 2% CPU...

See how in the attached photo it says "Amperage" (right near the bottom) and it's at 2597? The one you just posted has it at 0 (which makes no sense but whatever) and since power is related to amps, assuming this is why it's using a lot of power? So assuming it's the computer not the battery?

User uploaded file

Apr 21, 2015 3:56 AM in response to Alicia772

See if you can find what all is running at startup. Especially if you recently ran an update, there could be more, battery eating programs now running in the background. Also, are you in a building where your computer is having to fight for wifi?

I know in my college, there are a couple buildings where classrooms are so shielded with the metal infrastructure, especially in labs, or in the one underground classroom, that my phone and computer have to constantly fight to hold connection, which drains battery faster.

Apr 21, 2015 3:57 AM in response to Alicia772

Alicia772 wrote:

Battery was never abused, always pulled the charger out as soon as it had finished charging and only plugged it back in when it needed it,

Unfortunately deep discharges that you are describing here are a method of shortening lithium battery life. Two discharges to the 50% level are far better than a single discharge to a total or near total discharge. With 772 cycles and a battery capacity now well below Apples 80% of the design capacity standard, it is time for a replacement if you want longer battery run time.

You may still safely use the MBP with the battery but do monitor its status. When you see 'Check Battery' or Replace Now', then I urge you to have tha battery replaced as soon as possible.

Ciao.

Apr 16, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Alicia772

1. Check the cycle count of the battery against the rated life for your model. The battery may be due for replacement. If the power adapter is connected almost all the time, the battery may need replacing even though the cycle count is not too high.

2. Follow these instructions, or thesefor OS X 10.8 or earlier.

3. In the Energy Saver preference pane, uncheck the box marked

Enable Power Nap while on battery power

if it's shown (it may not be.)

4. You can also try resetting the SMC.

5. Make sure your system is up to date in Software Update.

6. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

Battery life is terrible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.