Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iCloud for storing photos

Hi

I have 200Gb of storage in iCloud now and have synced my 'Photos' so all images and videos are now on iCloud as I understand it. Since I have limited memory on my MacAir I would like to remove them from the memory on MacAir and release considerable memory there. Is this possible?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 12:56 AM

4 replies

Apr 17, 2015 5:34 AM in response to Richard-Barry

That still has them storing on the Mac Air when there is room available, I would like them to not be on the Mac at a all so I have the free memory.

you could sign out of iCloud Photo Library ond your MacBook Air, then delete most of the photos from your system Photos Library, and only access the photos in iCloud using the Photos.app in the web interface at https://www.icloud.com

Apr 17, 2015 2:49 PM in response to léonie

Hmm, this is an interesting idea...

If I finish syncing all my images that were on my computer up to iCloud, then I delete my iCloud Photos library, then create a new ICloud photos library with Photos it should sync the photos from iCloud, but not all the high res resulting in a smaller library on my computer.

Has anyone done this?

One thought, I've spent a lot of time going through marking faces. I'll loose all that work ad any smart folders I've created... but given that my Photos library is over 400GB, I think the potential space savings is worth it.

Using iCloud for storing photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.