Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband unexpectedly quit

Hi,

Running OS X 10.10.3 on a Mid 2010 iMac.

I recently downloaded and installed some updates from Apple, and now my GarageBand application will not work..

I launch the application and wait a few moments then receive an error message indicating -

"Garageband Unexpectedly Quit"

Any idea how I can repair this?

I don't use Time Machine and I perform backups nightly, so I've overlayed my backup with this issue.

Is there a way to re-install Garageband?

Help appreciated.

Jim P.

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 4:32 AM

Which GarageBand version are you using? Reinstalling the newest GarageBand 10.0 is easy. Delete the GarageBand Application from the Applications folder (don't empty the Trash), then open the AppStore and download garageBAnd again from the Purchases tab.

For GarageBand '11 this may not work, because it is not reliably available from the App Store, since the new GarageBand 10.0 has been released.

I recently downloaded and installed some updates from Apple, and now my GarageBand application will not work..

What updates did you install? If you are using plug-ins for midi devices or sound fonts, the chances are high, that one of your plug-ins has been rendered incompatible by the updates you installed and you need to uninstall or update your plug-ins.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2015 4:32 AM in response to James Palmer2

Which GarageBand version are you using? Reinstalling the newest GarageBand 10.0 is easy. Delete the GarageBand Application from the Applications folder (don't empty the Trash), then open the AppStore and download garageBAnd again from the Purchases tab.

For GarageBand '11 this may not work, because it is not reliably available from the App Store, since the new GarageBand 10.0 has been released.

What updates did you install? If you are using plug-ins for midi devices or sound fonts, the chances are high, that one of your plug-ins has been rendered incompatible by the updates you installed and you need to uninstall or update your plug-ins.

Apr 16, 2015 7:00 AM in response to léonie

I am using (or trying to use!) GB 10.0.3.

The updates that I installed were from Apple - OS X Update Version 10.10.3 (new Photos app, etc...) and OS X Yosemite Recovery Update Version 1.0

Here's what I've done:

- I moved GB to the trash

- I started the App Store

- I downloaded and installed GB

- I started GB

- I am still receiving the "Garageband Unexpectedly quit" message.

Jim P.

Garageband unexpectedly quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.