Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen pixelates, freezes then whole system crashes

Hi All,

My Imac screen starts to pixelate with flickering pixels around the screen at first, followed by the whole screen pixelating and freezing and the system crashes.

I bought my Imac in January 2010.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ian

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 6:02 AM

5 replies

Apr 16, 2015 6:07 AM in response to iandiggs

I think it has something to do with Adobe Flash Player updates, as the problem happened before christmas and was resolved when I updated with a new version of Adobe Flash player and then the issue came back when i recently updated with the latest version.

The pixelation, freezing and crashing is hastened if i go on a application that uses more memory, such as you tube or call of duty.

Many Thanks

Ian

Apr 16, 2015 11:30 AM in response to iandiggs

Given that Adobe updates Flash at least every couple of weeks, I doubt that Flash has anything to do with your graphics problems. Instead, I'd suspect that the graphics chipset in the iMac may be failing, particularly in a machine that gets used (often?) to play Call of Duty or similar games that run the system at its limits for extended periods of time.

Everything breaks eventually. If that iMac has given you five good years, it may simply be time to start shopping for another.

Screen pixelates, freezes then whole system crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.