Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari acting crazy

When I turn on my mac safari keeps opening and when I end up closing safari another window opens right after. H ow do I fix this? I've went to log in items and safari isn't there and even on the icon itself I looked snd its not set to open at login & I've cleared the cache and browsing data. I have no idea what else to check.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 6:55 AM

10 replies

Apr 16, 2015 11:23 AM in response to Kevinj22

Quit the application. Force quit if necessary.

Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. From the menu bar, select

Safari â–¹ Preferences... â–¹ Privacy â–¹ Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Apr 19, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Kevinj22

I'm glad to see that it's not just me this is happening to. This started for me about a week ago, after one of the Yosemite updates, and now every time I restart my mac, it opens automatically. Safari isn't in any startup items, so it's not set to open at login, I checked. I'm using Chrome as my default browser these days, so it's even more annoying to have this happen and not be able to stop it.

Apr 20, 2015 7:14 AM in response to SahmomMN

Try a reset.

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

Apr 24, 2015 6:23 AM in response to PDADoc

This is a new problem.. I am having it as well. I have tried everything suggested here, but Safari immediately reopens upon quitting. Here is what happens: I right click on Safari in the dock, chose quit, or press Command-Q, and Safari quits, as indicated by the indicator in the dock going away that indicates open programs, but then it immediately reopens. The program will not stay quit. This seems to be a common but new problem, because people haven't found a solution yet.

Apr 24, 2015 6:27 AM in response to sabnrob2

I am a teacher in a Mac lab, and I have two different machines in my lab that have this problem, and it makes the computer unusable, because in some cases, Safari keeps hijacking the keyboard input. You are typing in Word, and Safari takes over as the active window, and keyboard input goes to Safari, this happens every few characters typed.

Safari acting crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.