Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting iPhoto library backups on Time Machine

If I choose "deleting all backups" of the iPhoto Library on Time machine, will it delete my latest backup too?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 7:50 AM

All seems a pretty inclusive term.

Remember that Time Machine backs up in increments - that is the first time you use it it makes a complete back up, thereafter it records the changes made and required to restore the library to the last configuration. So the "last back up" means nothing without the original one.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2015 7:50 AM in response to margalina

All seems a pretty inclusive term.

Remember that Time Machine backs up in increments - that is the first time you use it it makes a complete back up, thereafter it records the changes made and required to restore the library to the last configuration. So the "last back up" means nothing without the original one.

Apr 16, 2015 2:17 PM in response to margalina

Look up the english definition of "all" - obviously if you delete "all" backups then you delete all backups including the oldest and the newest and all others

However exactly why do you want to do this and how are you proposing to do it? TM does not just make multiple copies of things - it makes one copy and then records all changes so when you restore it crates the version you want to restore from the first copy and the changes necessary to give you the version you want - there are not "multiple" copies of any file

I suspect you do not understand how TM works and may well be on a fools errand that will mess your your TM backup and leave you with no usable backup

maybe something here will help you understand http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

LN

Apr 16, 2015 1:57 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for your reply. Does it mean that if I delete the original iPhoto Library backup from Time Machine, all the following iPhoto Library backups will just show the changes that were made to the Library after I deleted the original backup, in other words, all the photos would be gone from the Library except for the ones that I added oder changed after I deleted the original Time Machine backup?

Deleting iPhoto library backups on Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.