Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX will not open after move to a new Mac'

I've just invested in a "new" 2010 MacPro and transferred everything from my 27" iMac, ( same year vintage ), to the MacPro using Carbon Copy Cloner to a new 2tb Hard Drive, installed that drive into the MacPro as it's Start Up drive and everything opens up and works just fine on the "new" machine……..except for FCPX.

While it's not my favourite editing programme by quite a margin I still want to have it usable so I can maybe learn to like it down the roadafter I am forced to give up FCP Studio 7.

However now it's installed on the MacPro it will not open beyond the FCPX splash screen, it crashes and asks if I want to send a report to Apple.

I've un-installed it from the MacPro and re-downloaded and re-installed a new version to see if that would help, but it didn't. Same thing happens, it crashes before it opens right after the splash screen shows up.

The MacPro' is running the same OSX 10.8.5 as previously in the 27" iMac, no other changes apart from the machine switch and everything else that was cloned over is working fine.

Maybe I've missed something that needs to be deleted from the Mac Pro before FCPX will run in it's new "home", but I can't figure out if that's the case.

Any clues would be welcome…..Thanks!

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 7:07 AM

11 replies

Apr 16, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hello Tom, thanks for the very swift response!

Yes I know that the recent versions of FCPX will not run on 10.8.5, I was running the earlier version on the iMac ( 10.0.9 ) and that's the version that was Carbon Copied over with the rest of the iMac's drive to the "new" MacPro's start up drive.

When I found it wouldn't work I re-downloaded FCPX from the App store and got the message asking me if I'd like to install an earlier version of the App because the recent one wouldn't run on OSX10.8.5, I click "yes" and an "new" FCPX 10.0.9 was downloaded. However that still will not load beyond the splash screen. So something is upsetting it somewhere.

I do have FCP 7 Studio in a separate folder in Applications labelled "FCP 7 Studio Folder", this was as it was on the iMac and run both FCP's without any conflict or problems.

Odd huh?

PS. FCPX still opens ok on the iMac…..

Apr 16, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

No Tom, nothing. The splash window opens, shows the version number and where there's normally a sequence of messages saying what's loading, there's nothing. The screen holds like that for about 30 seconds than the App crashes and up comes the report message.

The MacPro is a 2x 2.93 GHz 6 core machine running OSX 10.8.5, 48 gigs of RAM, and a GForce GTX 780 Graphics card, ( could this be the problem? FCPX doesn't like this card? ).

As said it still runs just fine on the "old" 27" iMac.

All other Pro' Applications are fine, including Resolve 11 and Premiere Pro 8…..and of course FCP7 Studio is still chugging away regardless!

Apr 16, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I just deleted FCPX and cleaned up all all of it's relevant system files using MacKeeper's Smart Uninstaller to make sure that there were no old remnants left, then re-installed the App' again from the App Store.

Same result, just will not load…....

As the OSX is the same as on the iMac and the other installed Applications and software are all exactly the same, ( a cloned drive ), it has to be something about the MacPro's hardware setup and / or Graphics card.

But whatever, if I need to explore FCPX I can always go back to the iMac.

It's just puzzling that's all……..

Thanks for the ideas on this Tom anyway…..

Best,

Peter

FCPX will not open after move to a new Mac'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.