Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i permanently delete photos from iPhoto?

Ummm before updating iTunes when i used iPhoto, if i had to permanently delete a pic it'd go to the iPhoto trash from where i could clear the trash and then permanently delete it. But now, after the update, when i delete pictures, it doesn't even go to the trash box. Moreover, let's take for instance am uploading a picture to edit or send to someone but the picture is from the same series of pictures from which i supposedly deleted one of, i can see the deleted picture there. How can it still be seen when it should have been deleted. However, the 'deleted' picture isn't visible in iPhotos.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 9:07 AM

13 replies

Jun 9, 2017 10:50 AM in response to josinka47

I agree with Larry in that it seems that you have no idea how to use iPhoto. How long have you been having this problem? iPhoto hasn't been updated, as Larry pointed, out in over 2 years. What version of iPhoto are you using?

Also iPhoto does not use iCloud as the new Photos does. It can use the My Photo Stream but that only uploads and stores the last 30 days worth of your photos and downloads them to your other devices. You do not need to use this service at all. You can use iPhoto totally independent of any iCloud services, i.e. My Photo Stream or Shared Albums.

Study the following carefully as it details how to delete photos from an iPhoto Library:

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library

1 - from an Event or the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

User uploaded file

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the trash bin as above.

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

User uploaded file

Jun 9, 2017 5:29 AM in response to Little Kirti

Apple goes the same way like Microsoft. The more updates , the worser it becomes.

I also try to delete several photos in iPhoto, but there is no option to do so., and I do not have photos in iCloud, because I do not use iCloud. Imho, Apple has no right to do so,because they decide what the owner can do with his computer . This means that I put all my photos on a USB stick ,and delete iPhoto completely, and restart with uploading what I WANT and not what Apple wants we need to do.

Jun 9, 2017 8:40 AM in response to josinka47

Apple goes the same way like Microsoft. The more updates , the worser it becomes.

I also try to delete several photos in iPhoto, but there is no option to do so.

No users simply are dense

There have been no updates to iPhoto for over two years

TO delete a photo (or many photos) in iPhoto you select the photo(s) in an event and press the delete key (or drag them to the iPhoto trash) then under the iPhoto menu empty the iPhoto trash and then empty the system trash - this has worked this way since iPhoto 08 at least - maybe longer

LN

Apr 16, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Little Kirti

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 10 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Apr 17, 2015 12:21 AM in response to Yer_Man

The version of iPhoto is 1.0 (209.52.0)

I've updated iTunes like a week ago and i use OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D131),

Let's say i uploaded picture 1,2 ,3 and 4 from my camera to my laptop and then i delete picture '4', it's no longer visible in the iPhotos. Then, let's pretend i am uploading picture 3 on the net, from the group of pictures that i get to select, i can see picture '4'; there and if i select it, it gets uploaded. But how it that possible? It should have been deleted right? When i delete i use cmd + backspace. If i can still the picture which i've supposedly deleted, it means the picture never got deleted right?

Apr 17, 2015 4:58 AM in response to Little Kirti

The version of iPhoto is 1.0 (209.52.0)

Well that's actually a different app. That's Photos.app the new app that replaces iPhoto (in theory at least).

From the Help:

Deleted photos and video aren’t immediately removed from your library; they’re placed in the Recently Deleted album, where they remain for the number of days shown, and then are deleted. You can recover the items before that period of time (see the next task). If you have iCloud Photo Library turned on, the photos may remain in iCloud up to 40 days and then are removed from all your devices that use iCloud Photo Library. If you’re not using iCloud Photo Library, your deleted photos are removed from your Mac only.

How do i permanently delete photos from iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.