Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get an Aperture version that works with 10.10.3?

Photos seems to be a minimal improvement to iPhotos and a terribly inadequate replacement for Aperture. Aperture is working with 10.10.2 on my new MAC, but when I installed 10.10.3 on my macbook, Aperture is crossed out. When I open it, I get a message "this version of Aperture does not work with OS X Yosemite". It also says I can get the correct version from the App store for free. when I look for Aperture on the App store it is not listed. What has Apple done?

MacBook Pro, iOS 6

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 9:09 AM

9 replies

Apr 21, 2015 2:12 PM in response to William Lloyd

I have the same issue, but I only tried to upgrade Aperture 3.5 on my laptop first. (where only a couple hundred images are stored). I went to the App Store, where I had purchased Aperture to get the upgrade to 3.6. I get the message "Error 1004. Please try again later". I have been trying this for the past 3 days. Same result. Photos is a horrible, dummied down version of iPhoto, and doesn't even rate compared to Aperture. Lightroom may be an answer. It will import your Aperture Library. Somewhere, there is a post explaining how to upgrade to Aperture 6, and have access through Photos to it and your iPhoto Library. I haven't been able to find it since I first saw it on a friend's computer last week.

(Macbook Pro, Retina 15" 2.2ghz, Yosemite & iMac 27", 2.9 ghz Maverick)

Apr 21, 2015 2:24 PM in response to wgerth

I found this elsewhere. Have not personally tested it. But the approach seems logical.

Suggest you back up everything before proceeding.

1. Find aperture in your applications folder and move that to the trash

2. Go to the app store and your purchases

3. Instead of it saying "update" it now says "install"

4. Click "install"

5. It's back! And ready to be used.

May 1, 2015 2:14 AM in response to philipppl

Aperture is not to be found anywhere on the app store.

Apple does no longer sell Aperture. You can only reinstall from the App Store, if you already own a version, that is associated with your Apple ID. If you already own Aperture, but it does not show on your Purchases tab of the AppStore, when you sign in with your APpleID, you may need to unhide it: See this link: Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases

May 1, 2015 6:33 AM in response to wgerth

I Called Apple and they walked me through the process of getting Aperture to work on OSX 10.10.3:

Find Aperture in your Applications folder then

Drag it to Trash and empty Trash (your Aperture library is not affected by this).

Restart your computer

Log on to App Store, and find your Purchases

locate The Aperture application.

It should show Install, and not Upgrade at this point.

click on that to download Aperture 3.6

instal that in your Applications folder.

Of course, this only works if you purchased Aperture from Apple, and registered it with them.

This is worked for me and I now have Aperture 3.6 running on Yosemite. The drawback here is that there is no further support will be offered for Aperture, so another alternative will eventually be required. I took advantage of an offer from Adobe, and downloaded Lightroom CC and Bridge CC (Creative Cloud). I already had Photoshop CC, but they bundled it all together for me at a very reasonable price. All these applications will use your Aperture and iPhoto libraries should you wish to import them into the application, so there will be no duplication of Libraries. Hope this helps you like it did me.

May 1, 2015 4:12 PM in response to ronald w.fromgreat falls

I Called Apple and they walked me through the process of getting Aperture to work on OSX 10.10.3:

Find Aperture in your Applications folder then

Drag it to Trash and empty Trash (your Aperture library is not affected by this).

Restart your computer

Log on to App Store, and find your Purchases

locate The Aperture application.

It should show Install, and not Upgrade at this point.

click on that to download Aperture 3.6

instal that in your Applications folder.

Of course, this only works if you purchased Aperture from Apple, and registered it with them.

This is worked for me and I now have Aperture 3.6 running on Yosemite. The drawback here is that there is no further support will be offered for Aperture, so another alternative will eventually be required. I took advantage of an offer from Adobe, and downloaded Lightroom CC and Bridge CC (Creative Cloud). I already had Photoshop CC, but they bundled it all together for me at a very reasonable price. All these applications will use your Aperture and iPhoto libraries should you wish to import them into the application, so there will be no duplication of Libraries. Hope this helps you like it did me.

Thank you for posting your solution. I'm sure it will help others in the future.

You know, many people continue to use discontinued software for years without problems. There are millions of people out there still using iMovie HD 06 and iDVD because there is nothing better.

How can I get an Aperture version that works with 10.10.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.