Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule not backing up data since Fios was installed

About a month ago I had Verizon Fios TV/Internet installed using an M1424 all home dvr router and now my Time Capsule will not back up my Macbook Pro. I had no issues backing up to TC wirelessly with my previous cable carrier (Cox Communications). Now when I try to manually back up data I get a message that says "Back Up Failed. Time Capsule is not available". I have gone into the Fios router and changed network name and the password but it still will not work. Not sure all that I am doing is really going to fix this issue so I am coming to you guys for help! I have rebooted numerous times and have done hard resets to no avail. Is it possible that my 1TB Time Capsule is not compatible with this set up? Do all of my electronics (iPad, MacBook Pro) need to be on the same IP address? Please help!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 7:29 AM

Factory reset the TC.. This is essential.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Now plug the TC into the FIOS router.. WAN on the TC to LAN on FIOS with ethernet patch cable. Does the connectivity light go on?

Then open the computer airport utility and run through the setup of the TC.

It should automagically discover it is plugged into an existing router and set itself up in bridge mode.. if this fails please do it manually.. finish the airport utility wizard setup and then click the edit button and go the setup screens and set Network to bridge.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The setup of the TC I strongly recommend you use short names with no spaces and pure alphanumeric characters.. not names recommended in the airport utility.

No luck please just post the screenshots like my first shot showing the summary screen of the TC and I can work from there.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2015 7:29 AM in response to kathyp315

Factory reset the TC.. This is essential.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Now plug the TC into the FIOS router.. WAN on the TC to LAN on FIOS with ethernet patch cable. Does the connectivity light go on?

Then open the computer airport utility and run through the setup of the TC.

It should automagically discover it is plugged into an existing router and set itself up in bridge mode.. if this fails please do it manually.. finish the airport utility wizard setup and then click the edit button and go the setup screens and set Network to bridge.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The setup of the TC I strongly recommend you use short names with no spaces and pure alphanumeric characters.. not names recommended in the airport utility.

No luck please just post the screenshots like my first shot showing the summary screen of the TC and I can work from there.

Apr 17, 2015 7:33 AM in response to LaPastenague

omg...i want to say this helped me tremendously but i also found (by messing around) that my TC was still using the old network name...and while i was afraid to delete the old TC folder I still did it and I created a new one, to which I have been able to back up to!!! I am sooo thrilled!! I have been playing around with this for over two weeks and it took something so simple....I (and you, too!) ROCK!!! thank you so much!!!

Time Capsule not backing up data since Fios was installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.