Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best anti virus software for the mac?

I may have mistakenly allowed someone into my computer to fix a problem with Quicken. Now I am afraid of Identity Theft and wonder if there is a good software CD to take over my computer in order to find any problems with trojan horse applications.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 10:12 AM

1 reply

Apr 17, 2015 4:10 AM in response to tomfrombrookline

Who was this person that you allowed access to your computer?

If you have reason to believe that this person was a scammer or otherwise malicious, there is absolutely no software that can give your computer a clean bill of health. No anti-virus software will help. A malicious individual with access to your computer could easily make malicious changes to your system that wouldn't be detected by anti-virus software. The only way to guarantee that your system is clean would be to erase the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. See:

How to reinstall Mac OS X from scratch

Note that if this person was malicious and had access to your Quicken data, you will need to take additional steps to protect that financial data, such as alerting the bank.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

What is the best anti virus software for the mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.