Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove quotes showing in text?

hi all,

i am using yosemite with pages 5.5.2 and i am seeing endnotes at the end of a lot of my text which are unelectable and thus unremovable. i did a google search and everything seems to turn up issues about cutting and pasting word text but while these /may/ have been word at one point i didn't have this issue in previous versions of pages. most solutions seem to involve third party plugins or apps.

does anyone know how to get rid of these? i can't get much work done with these showing up in printed and digital docs.

THANKS

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), mid 2009 13" 2.53 core2duo 8 GB RAM

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 10:38 AM

Then use your previous version of Pages.

Peter

10 replies

Apr 16, 2015 10:51 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

hi peter,

thanks very much.

i looked on app store and it seems to only show the most current version. so i searched my HD for archived installed software and didn't see anything related to iWork or Pages. so i installed the iLife Install DVD that i have here and now have Pages 4.0 installed.

now a right click on pages docs to select Open With shows Pages (default) 5.5.2 and Pages 4.0.

however, if i try and open in 4.0 it says it cannot open because of a missing xml file.

i am running 10.10.2 yosemite.

any ideas? this seems a bit buggy if i can't fix it in the newest version of the app.

thanks

Apr 16, 2015 8:04 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

hi peter, do you know which link in the third option is the one i should get? i tried the first option in the second link (updated to 10.10.3) but Pages is still showing 4.0. since i bought the disk i can't download from the App Store and the third option seems a little confusing since i am already on 10.10.3. any thoughts on this? i know this is slightly down the rabbit hole but having my Pages docs have quote marks hanging off of each line is not exactly a convenient feature to have added in the new app.

About the iWork 9.3 Update - Apple Support

About the iWork 9.3 Update - Apple Support

Apple - Support - Downloads

Apr 21, 2015 12:04 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

hi peter,

i still seem to be having the same problem even after having successfully upgraded to 4.3.

right now i still get this xml error message that will not let me open this document. i have tried opening from the document icon and opening 4.3 first and then accessing the file through finder.

i have done some quick tests here on files that were originally 4.3 and i have no problem opening them in 4.3 or in 5.5.2 - in both cases without the odd quotes or other extraneous characters. the problem seems to be generated in the following workflow:

1. open 4.3 document in 5.5.2

2. see extraneous character (ignore because you think they are some artifact of showing some kind of editing that you are unable temporarily to get rid of)

3. go to FILE > SAVE to make sure you are saying the file.

4. A prompt states that "This Pages 09 Document May Look different: Here is a List of what changed"

"OS X Spotlight Search Information was Removed"

"Bookmarks aren't supported"

5. Save Document and you get the opportunity to either open in 5.5.2 with the quotes and other information or you get the xml error when trying to open again in 4.3.

maybe i need to open in 5.5.2 and save back?

THANKS

Apr 21, 2015 1:27 PM in response to hotwheels22

Pages '09 documents internally include an index.xml file. Pages v5 documents are a different architecture, and do not use index.xml, as well as not directly backwards compatible with Pages '09 v4.3. You must use Pages v5 applications to open Pages v5 documents. If you open a Pages '09 document and save it in Pages v5, it is no longer a Pages '09 document. You will have to export to Pages '09.

Apr 21, 2015 2:45 PM in response to VikingOSX

OK. thanks to you and peter for helping clear this up for me.

i will export the docs i saved to 09 format and hopefully be back to where i started.

just so i am sure i understand - i can only open the docs in 09 format if i am /editing/ them as saving them creates the problem is that right? or if i open in the new 5.X app can i still /save/ the editing and then open them in 09 format or does editing them in the newer app mean i have to keep them in the new format?

i mean, so far the new format is not working as it adds all these extraneous characters.

thanks

Apr 21, 2015 4:20 PM in response to hotwheels22

As long as you use Pages '09 on documents created, edited, and saved with it, you will be fine. You might want to place a blue tag on these to remind you they came from the Pages application with the blue ink well. Just remember that with both versions of Pages installed, you must never double-click a document icon, or it will open in Pages v5.

Pages v5 (and now v5.5.3 out today) lack 100+ features that were in Pages '09 v4.3. This means that Pages v5.5.3 will filter out/mangle all Pages '09 content that it does not support. If you allow it to convert a Pages '09 document, it will then understand that it owns this content, and autosave it, right over the same name as the original Pages '09 document. Poof, your original Pages '09 work is gone.

I would advise you to simply not use Pages v5 (any flavor), and stick with Pages '09 v4.3. I would also recommend that for every Pages '09 document that you have, consider exporting it to Word .doc format as a failsafe redundancy. Someday, Pages '09 v4.3 will stop working on a future OS X release, and then you will have little choice than to use whatever current Pages version is available then, and that either mangles your document content, or no longer will open Pages '09 documents. Apple dropped support for Pages '08 documents in v5 — so there is precedent.

remove quotes showing in text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.