Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite changing audio output to airplay at random

Hello all,

We have an office of several hundred Macs, most running 10.10.3, as well as about 30 or so Airplay devices

It seems that for some people, every once in a while, Yosemite will at random seem to either change audio devices, or connect to a random Airplay device that it's connected to before.

This usually happens to me when waking from sleep, but has also happened to other people.

Anyone else experienced this? It's a little worrisome that Yosemite might send audio to a random Airplay device/speaker somewhere in the office, especially if you are using your computer for a confidential call or video chat.

Thanks,

Nabeel

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 11:09 AM

5 replies

Jul 14, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Nabeel_co

Late 2011 Macbook pro, osx 10.10.4

Selected computer source in iTunes, sound comes from the computer, when B & O headphones are connected sound stops and after few seconds sound is coming from the airplay device. Source is still computer and sound level is adjustable from computer slide. Take headphones out, computer start to play the music..

Headphones plugged in, in finder window I click preview (space) on mp3 file, sound comes from the airplay device!

Even VLC sounds are coming from airplay device if headphones plugged in!

This is really annoying, cannot anymore use headphones!!

Jul 20, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Nabeel_co

This just started happening to my Mini two days ago. The only "new activity" I have done was to open iTunes and stream music over Airplay to a Yamaha receiver. This Mac is connected to the receiver via HDMI, so airplay has not really been used prior to that afternoon. Since then, when turning on or off the receiver & TV that is connected to the mac, there's a small chance that the Airplay mode is kicked on by the automatic switching on the receiver. I'm convinced there is some OS setting that has been adjusted by iTunes, and it's driving me crazy!

OS 10.10.4

itunes 12.2.1.16

Mac Mini late 2012

Feb 12, 2016 10:09 AM in response to Nabeel_co

This happens to me as well. I'm on Yosemite (10.10.5), and my AirPlay device is a Harmon/Kardon AVR 170. What seems to be happening is that the receiver turns on, and (I'm assuming) broadcasts the fact that it's a new AirPlay receiver available, and for whatever reason, my Mac Pro automatically switches to it. This has happened several times in the middle of a conference call (Skype/HipChat/BlueJeans, doesn't seem to matter which), and because it also has the effect of turning the volume ALL THE WAY UP on the receiver, scares the crap out of whomever just turned the receiver on to watch some TV.

Yosemite changing audio output to airplay at random

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.