Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With 10.2 I can only use system speaker output for audio, NOT my RME FF400 I used previously. The FF400 works fine with other apps. How can I set this device in FCP 10.2? (it is set in both system preferences and midi)

With 10.2 I can only use a system (e.g. speaker) output for audio, NOT my RME FF400 I used without any problems previously. The FF400 works fine with other apps (some like TwistedWave) setup in the program, and others (like Spotify) using system preferences & audio midi setup. How can I set the FF400 to be the sound output device in FCP 10.2? N.B. The FF400 is set as sound output device in both system preferences and audio midi setup.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), RME FireFace 400 audio interface

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 1:46 PM

From the fcp.co forum. See if this does anything for you.

• simon_hutchings
  • User uploaded file
  • Junior Boarder
  • User uploaded file
  • Thank you received: 5

I have the solution! Well it at least worked for me.

This is the response I got from Apple,

Can you please try the following steps towards fixing your audio issue, and report back with your results?
1. Open the application Audio Midi Setup (located in Applications : Utilities)
2. Select the Output Tab for the current output device
3. Select the Configure Speakers option
4. Select the Multichannel tab
5. Change the setting to Stereo

Now mine was set to stereo but the left channel wasn't showing left. re-clicking on stereo reloaded the settings and after clicking apply it worked.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2015 1:46 PM in response to David_L

From the fcp.co forum. See if this does anything for you.

• simon_hutchings
  • User uploaded file
  • Junior Boarder
  • User uploaded file
  • Thank you received: 5

I have the solution! Well it at least worked for me.

This is the response I got from Apple,

Can you please try the following steps towards fixing your audio issue, and report back with your results?
1. Open the application Audio Midi Setup (located in Applications : Utilities)
2. Select the Output Tab for the current output device
3. Select the Configure Speakers option
4. Select the Multichannel tab
5. Change the setting to Stereo

Now mine was set to stereo but the left channel wasn't showing left. re-clicking on stereo reloaded the settings and after clicking apply it worked.

Apr 17, 2015 12:34 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, I updated to 10.10.3 yesterday but the problem remained.

I've deduced that the reason for the problem (and success of the solution) is that FCP is the only program I use that can handle multi-channel audio. All the others only handle stereo and there is therefore no channel ambiguity - the RME FF400 has multiple output channels.

Thanks again for your help.

With 10.2 I can only use system speaker output for audio, NOT my RME FF400 I used previously. The FF400 works fine with other apps. How can I set this device in FCP 10.2? (it is set in both system preferences and midi)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.