Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I force Logic to not calculate fades in real time?

In past versions, Logic has stored fades as files in a separate folder. In LogicX I understand fades are done in real time. I do orchestral mixes for my movie scores and now Logic can't play my mixes any more without stopping when it gets to fades. Typically, I have a project with 64 audio-tracks, no audio instruments whatsoever and very little plugins, the only third-party plug being one instance of Altiverb. LogicX cannot play it at all within sight of fades (all tracks are fading and crossfading simultaneously). If I open in Logic 9, there is no problem at all. I've tried increasing the I/O buffer to the max, but without effect. I could use some help. In the mean time I'll be going back to Logic 9 for mixing. The weird thing is that my orchestral mockups are getting more monstrously big by the minute without my machine complaining at all. From the CPU meter I get a peak on the first of the CPU-meters, the disk I/O does not peak. I have all my audio on striped RAID and read/write-speeds has as I said not been an issue at all before LogicX.

Best regards,

Ginge

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2x2.66 6-core, 32GB

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 12:06 PM

10 replies

Apr 16, 2015 8:38 PM in response to SubGinge

I don't think you can disable the real-time fades mechanism.

The closest thing you can do is "Freeze" the Tracks. Make sure to use the Freeze Mode "Source Only" so you can can still have access to the FX Plugins.

User uploaded file

I explain all those steps in my manuals "Logic Pro X - How it Works" and "Logic Pro X - The Details", the only books updated for the current Logic version V10.1

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

May 25, 2015 7:46 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Thanks for the reply Edgar! I have concluded that the real-time fading isn't the issue as LPX has problems playing this mix without fades altogether, it still stops whenever it gets close to an edit point where it hits a block of 64 new audio regions starting at the same time. Any idea on how to get the same performance from LPX as LP9?

Best regards,

Ginge

May 25, 2015 12:49 PM in response to SubGinge

Any idea on how to get the same performance from LPX as LP9?

Increasing the I/O sample buffer size in Logic Pro X's Audio prefs.. is about the only way.... and even that may not work..

Simple fact is LPX along with the newer OS X versions, make higher demands on your hardware so performance drops off... compared to say LP9 and Snow Leopard..

This is why several of us stick with 10.6.8 and LP9.1.5 (or 8) rather than use LPX and Yosemite.. for our main working rigs...

Cheers..

Nigel

May 25, 2015 11:46 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thanks Nigel, I'll be mixing in LP9 then, and making sure not to update my OS any further. I wouldn't want to update to a version that doesn't support LP9. Increasing buffer size was the first thing I tried btw, with absolutely zero effect. What really puzzles me though, is that Logic handles a HUGE load of Vienna/Kontakt instances in the orchestral mockups i use for writing the scores (and those are not several instances with the same instruments mind you) without even a little hickup. But when I ask it to play through an edit point of a measly 64 audio tracks (64 audio regions changing take at once) with just a handfull of EQs and one instance of Altiverb , that cannot be done. Logic is using one sixth of the CPU power available according to the CPU-meter. Does not that indicate that there is unused potential here? Bad coding of some sort?

Ginge

May 26, 2015 1:18 AM in response to SubGinge

SubGinge wrote:

Thanks Nigel, I'll be mixing in LP9 then, and making sure not to update my OS any further. I wouldn't want to update to a version that doesn't support LP9. Increasing buffer size was the first thing I tried btw, with absolutely zero effect. What really puzzles me though, is that Logic handles a HUGE load of Vienna/Kontakt instances in the orchestral mockups i use for writing the scores (and those are not several instances with the same instruments mind you) without even a little hickup. But when I ask it to play through an edit point of a measly 64 audio tracks (64 audio regions changing take at once) with just a handfull of EQs and one instance of Altiverb , that cannot be done. Logic is using one sixth of the CPU power available according to the CPU-meter. Does not that indicate that there is unused potential here? Bad coding of some sort?

Ginge

I believe it has to do with Logic's (outdated) buffering scheme that I've griped about for years.

Logic might not have a problem if the audio regions were glued into a single region, here's why I think so:

Logic buffers data by "active" region, you have 64 un-buffered regions lying in wait (so to speak) at the edit point, as Logic approaches the edit it point it tries to buffer the upcoming regions while playing back the original 64 regions... error! It's not a CPU/Processing error, it's a throughput error. Logic 9 is much lighter on it's feet and doesn't have the graphics overhead or memory footprint Logic-X does.

Here's the got'cha in your situation... if Logic had active buffers you probably couldn't make those big orchestra mock-ups, as every plugin would require a little bit of CPU. When Logic is stopped, it basically shuts down the audio engine, no buffers fill or are active so all plugins (Vienna/Kontakt) are not using any processing..

The only other DAW that can operate like this is Cubase/Nuendo and it was only recently added as an option.

May 29, 2015 12:37 AM in response to SubGinge

SubGinge wrote:

I have no particular weirdness in that combo, LP9 is doing fine, but I won't be installing updates to the OS until this throughput-issue is solved. @ Pancenter: have you actually heard they are looking into this?

g

I know two developers and both have told me they've heard that Apple is trying to get Logic-X and the latest Mac OS to be fully compatible.... meaning, it's not fully compatible now I guess. A lot of it has to do with the graphics overhead in Logic-X, from my brief encounter with Logic-X (with a couple of former clients) it feels like it lags, the older the machine the worse it is. One user put the best graphics card he could afford in his MacPro and noticed a definite improvement. Whatever "Logic-X & Mac OS" being fully compatible means is anyone's guess.

I'm a luddite staying with Logic-9 and Snow Leopard, don't want or need any grief.

Jun 5, 2015 11:56 PM in response to Pancenter

Upgrading has never been straight forward, I've always waited for the worst bugs to be cleared out before upgrading after some unhappy incidents earlier on. LPX definately feels like it is lagging, yes, While the older feels very much more responsive.

However, some good news: I just recorded the symphony orchestra this week and imported the AAFs just to confirm LPX wouldn't handle it, but so far there have been no hickups at all whith playing through edits on 81 tracks simultaneously. The audio files resides on the same disk as before when LPX had problems. The now is that this is not a project converted from LP9 but AAFs imported directly into LPX. For now that seems to make a difference.

Can I force Logic to not calculate fades in real time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.