Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why has ios 8.3 affected my gmail account access?

I updated my iphone 5s to ios 8.3 yesterday. The Gmail account I had loaded is no longer functioning. When I pushed the email this morning, it showed an error saying the password wasn't recognized. In mail settings I couldn't verify the password because it was grayed out. So I deleted the account and attempted to re-add it but now it won't add it. I can select "google" email, enter my username/password, it shows the screen to accept what the "IOS would like to:", when I pick "accept", it doesn't and kicks me back to "Add Account". I do also have a secure exchange email account on my phone for work.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 1:21 PM

If you have two-step verification turned on for your email account, you'll have to get instructions from your provider on how to set up your account on a mobile device.

11 replies

Apr 25, 2015 7:16 AM in response to chrissorry

Google has recently tightened the security of gmail accounts, requiring stronger passwords. If Google has an alternate email address for you they would have sent a notice about this to you, with instructions about what to do about it. As a first step delete your gmail account, reboot your phone, and add it back. If that doesn't resolve the problem consider installing the gmail app on your iPhone. It's really pretty good.

BTW, Apple and Google are fierce competitors; they don't have a partnership, and they regularly sue each other.

Apr 28, 2015 5:52 PM in response to akag4ever

I have exactly the same issue - my company for better / worse uses corporate version of Google for its IT infrastructure. I was able to work around by not using iOS for mail / calendar but loading separate apps - I like CloudMagic for email and the Google calendar app is good enough for now. Google and Apple may fight but dragging customers through the mud along the way isn't a terribly enlightened approach to creating a loyal / sticky customer base.....IMO FWIW.

Apr 28, 2015 6:01 PM in response to dbrooks312

The problem is that Google changed their interface around the same time Apple update iOS, so it appears to be an iPhone problem when it is really a Google issue. One solution is to use the Google gmail app (I do). It's a nice app that works reliably. Otherwise, you probably have to delete your gmail account from the phone, reboot the phone, and add it back. If you have 2 factor authentication enabled for gmail you will have to generate a new app-specific password.

why has ios 8.3 affected my gmail account access?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.