Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5k screen glare renders it unusable

Hi,

I´ve just bought an iMac 5k. The glare from the screen is blinding and I can't focus. It seems to be really damaging my eyes. I´m not talking about a reflection but the light from the display itself. I´m not sure how to describe it - radioactive comes to mind! - like staring at the sun!

It has rendered it practically unusable for me and it´s not question of the light intensity. Whether the light dimmer is high or low I can't bare to work on it for more than five minutes.

I rang Apple but no solution could be found, nor did they really understand what I was experiencing. Unfortunately, I bought it at an electronics store where they don't accept returns on Apple products (I´m in Spain and this seems to be the norm when you buy in non-apple walk-in stores)

I´d be very interested to hear if other people are experienceing a similar problem. I don't have this problem with my iPad or any other displays. I´ve considered an anti-glare protector but I´m not sure if that will fix my problem, and they´re quite expensive so I´d need to be sure before I purchased one.

Any feedback would be really appreciated

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 12:27 PM

25 replies

Apr 16, 2015 12:46 PM in response to poikkeus1

Hi,

The problem isn´t that it´s reflective - I haven't had problem with that. The problems the glaring light of the display but I´m not referring to the light intensity. It glares at any intensity. Unfortunatley I didn't buy it from apple. I bought it in a large electronics store here in Spain and they don't accept returns on Apple products - this seems to be the norm over here, specifically with Apple products. Do you understand what I´m trying to explain?

Apr 16, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Stphnlgn

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but at least I can show you a way to make the light a little more "user friendly."

In Preferences/Displays, you have the main ways to make your computing more pleasing and usable. "Display" lets you increase or decrease the brightness of the monitor. You're probably already aware of that. However, under "Color", you can pick from a variety of color profiles - as well as come up with your own, custom profile. You can even replicate the profile of an older monitor by choosing "Calibrate"

I do know that the Retina display is more oriented to a bright white; you can come up with a profile that's suited for your computing.

Apr 16, 2015 3:08 PM in response to Stphnlgn

Stphnlgn wrote:

Hi,

I´ve just bought an iMac 5k. The glare from the screen is blinding and I can't focus. It seems to be really damaging my eyes. I´m not talking about a reflection but the light from the display itself. I´m not sure how to describe it - radioactive comes to mind! - like staring at the sun!

Any feedback would be really appreciated

Did you have this problem in the store? if not it may be a problem between home lighting and the screen vs store lighting. Try matching the store lighting.

Sometimes it is the contrast between light and dark that is the problem (don't know where to set it or if it is settable as I have a studio display still going strong - knock on wood).

Another issue is the distance from the screen when you looked at it in store and at home.

Apr 16, 2015 4:04 PM in response to poikkeus1

I've taken a photo but it doesn't capture what I´m experiencing. I don't understand display technology but I´m sure it´s whatever illuminates the display, LEDs I imagine. I don't think this has a solution. It´s driving me crazy because the resolution and colour are fantastic but I can't use it without really straining my eyes.

I´ve tried changing the resolution, brightness and calibrating it. It´s not a color or brightness issue. It´s like radiation. I´d be delighted if It was a defect.

Apr 16, 2015 4:12 PM in response to notcloudy

The stores are very bright so I never noticed any problem and I didn't spend very long looking. I should go to a store I check the iMacs out there. I´ve tried everything possible - changing the brightness, calibrating the colours and changing the resolution but it doesn´t help. It´s more like radiation! - it´s blinding. Maybe it would be best to say that it´s a glow.

Thanks for your ideas. I think going to a shop and checking them out there will show me if it´s a defect or if that´s just the build.

Apr 16, 2015 4:28 PM in response to Stphnlgn

I did some informal web search on this issue...and while it's not a problem for me, it apparently is a make-or-break issue for some users. Obviously, I can't respond from personal experience.

Kuzy http://www.amazon.com/Kuzy-Screen-Protector-Desktop-Display/dp/B00BGDA0CI has two flavors of screen filters. One is clear, the other is anti-glare. The two main potential issues are (1) they might not work the way you want and (2) the filters aren't easy to apply. In any case, you should insist on a full return policy.

iMac 5k screen glare renders it unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.