Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

corrupt firmware on a Mac Pro?

My Mac Pro 1,1 running 10.6.8 will no longer boot: when I turn it on I get a grey Apple and a spinner that goes to a completely grey screen after maybe 10 secs. I have several drives in the machine with different OS'es. I tried an option-key start and while that shows me drives if I choose one I ultimately get the same effect (though sometimes with a circle-slash or a folder with a question mark in it).

I pulled the drives and tried them in another MacPro1,1 and they work and boot fine. Tried an OSX installer disc using a C-key start and it looks like it almost finishes the boot but goes to a black screen with a properly functioning arrow cursor on it (which has nothing to select). Other OS-on-a-disc's (i.e. Knoppix, Ubuntu, LPS157) won't boot completely either.

I tried swapping the memory boards, and shuffling the DIMMS on them, and that's had no effect. Even swapped the memory boards with another machine, to no effect.

I'm thinking MAYBE the firmware is corrupt? I downloaded and burned the v1.4 firmware Recovery disc from Apple's website - is there any harm in trying it just to see if I'm right? I've never done a firmware update before and should think that running the firmware installer when it isn't necessary shouldn't cause any harm.

comments/suggestions/tips? Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 12:09 PM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2015 12:37 PM in response to arewedoneyet

How are you planning to install the firmware update? These are normally initiated by booting OS X & then starting the firmware update tool. You can't get past step one at the moment.

If the firmware recovery disc boots you can run it, the update should check versions before overwriting, however Apple normally suggest you confirm the firmware is actually required before running an update - normally via System Profiler/ System Information. It's risky to overwrite firmware with no idea if it is needed. I'd be concerned that it may also crash since it seems to be failing to run the graphics correctly at the moment.

The Apple firmware downloads normally links to a page that has instructions for checking the version.

It seems like you have hardware issues, especially since many other OS's fail to boot (unless you have incompatible versions or a bad DVD/CD drive).

I think you need to remove all third party items & get back to basics…

RAM will normally cause beeps at startup when it is failing or misconfigured.

Check the graphics card is seated correctly & clean, blow off any dust etc.

Try another monitor if you have one available.

You can try recovery mode on the Linux disks - that should run with reduced graphics - does that work?

OS X can use verbose mode to output more info during a boot… (you may need to try several of your OS X boot volumes).

Mac OS X: How to start up in single-user or verbose mode - Apple Support

Does that log anything useful?

Does single user mode run at all?

Do you have the original grey install disks to run Apple Hardware Test?

Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/ (or use memtest on the Linux disks)

Some other resets to try…

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 16, 2015 1:28 PM in response to arewedoneyet

There is an initial checksum on the Firmware (part of the power-On Self test) that will give you beeps and/or blinking power-on light if there were an issue. (But most beeps or blinking power lights are cause by bad memory.) Bad firmware is almost never the problem.

I do not think you have considered overheating and/or graphics card failure.

corrupt firmware on a Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.