Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages cannot sign into AIM

Today Messages popped up a message saying that the password no longer worked for my AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) account. I tried typing in my password, pasting my password, to no avail. I tried changing it in the Preferences Pane and restarting Messages. No luck.

I can log into the AOL web page just fine - although that's a really poor way to get instant messages! So I know I have the right password.

-Crissa

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 11", mid 2013, i7 1.7, 8GB RAM

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 10:42 AM

Weirdly, it decided to work the next day, after not working for a day. Not exactly the most useful of solutions, but...

5 replies

Apr 17, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Crissa

Hi,

The Web Login does not use the same Login servers as the the Apps do.

That can also vary on the app you are using. (Older iChats versions lists different server to Messages).

It might have been because AIM were having trouble syncing several servers (There will be a whole host to keep many people connected and they will have to be linked and synced properly otherwise there can be issues)

Alternatively you account might (I stress might) have been temporarily suspended if you have travelled.

Some people have found that some Apple Issued IDs such as @Mac.com ones can be "Suspended" if they are logged in from a different Country.

The "fix" for that can be to log in a a Web page - sometimes you have to ask them to allow the account again.

User uploaded file

9:57 pm Friday; April 17, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Apr 21, 2015 9:11 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I've been experiencing the same issue, but instead of getting any kind of error, Messages will simply try to connect to my AIM account and after ~30 seconds say "Disconnected". Oddly, it will connect very intermittently before disconnecting again - though there's no discernible pattern here.

My office mates are experiencing the same thing, which leads me to believe this may be an issue with AOL's servers and not directly related to Messages; but any additional advice/support that might help would be much appreciated.

(Ralph: I have read and tried a lot of solutions you've suggested in older threads to user experiencing the same issue; i.e. toggling SSL and Advanced Network settings).

Thanks in advance.

Evan

Apr 21, 2015 1:10 PM in response to mtlevan

Hi,

If...

An AOL account check that the Messages > Preferences > Accounts lists it without the @aol.com ending.

I gained my AIM name years ago whilst using Netscape in OS 9

It is listed in System Preferences > Internet Accounts as the ScreenName@AOL.com but in message is is just ScreenName

If...

It is an Apple issues ID (@mac.com, @me.com linked to iCloud or and @iCloud.com one) then make sure the password is 16 characters or Less.

Technically if you started wit @mac.com and have upgraded as Apple have change to MobileMe then iCloud you may have all three types of ID that might be linked to the same Email and Apple ID account.

However in Messages they can be used as three Different Screen names.

This is not the case in iChat where older versions do not do the double login to AIM and Apple that allows the password to be used.

If you are getting "Disconnected" Showing is there a ~ type/lightening type icon next to it ?

If there is what does it say if you click on it ?

User uploaded file

The Server name should be api.oscar.aol.com

The port should be 443 (but 5190 will work as well)

SSL should be used.

Avoid Proxies if you can and use the System ones if you cannot.

IF you have an AIM or AOL name (they can be issued from either even though they are the same company) try Logging in here https://settings.aim.com/

This may tell you your account has been suspended.

This can happen if you travel out of country (unusual use) particularly if another device is still logged in at home.

User uploaded file

9:10 pm Tuesday; April 21, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages cannot sign into AIM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.