Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are deleted photos from Photos App not going to "recently deleted" file?

Just bought a new MacBook Pro and I am in the middle of moving our select files etc., separating work information from personal information. At the same time I am cleaning up my photos in the new "Photos" app on the MacBook. I've always liked the iPhotos app but I am trying this new one out. There is no longer a "Deleted Photo" file to drag your unwanted pics to. After doing some reading it has been indicated that the new Photos App does not have a Deleted Photos file but instead a "Show Recently Deleted" folder (like on the newer IOS updates on the iPhones) found under "File" in the Photos App. When I click on "Show Recently Deleted" there is no pictures. I have deleted atleast 150+ photos in the Photos App. If the deleted files aren't found there and they aren't in the "Trash" bin in the dock then where are they?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.3, New Photos App

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 9:43 PM

Hi Melaniefromnorth saanich,

Take a look at the Photos User Manual below. Is it possible you were deleting photos from an album and not from your library?

Delete photos and video - Photos Help
https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/index.html#/pht3bfab2f96

Delete photos and videos

Do one of the following:

• Delete a photo from an album, but not from your library: Select the items you want to delete, then press Delete.

• Delete a photo from a moment (placing it in the Recently Deleted album): Select the items you want to delete, press Delete, then click Delete.

• Delete a photo from a moment or album (placing it in the Recently Deleted album): Select the items you want to delete, then press Command-Delete.

Deleted photos and video aren’t immediately removed from your library; they’re placed in the Recently Deleted album, where they remain for the number of days shown, and then are deleted. You can recover the items before that period of time (see the next task). If you have iCloud Photo Library turned on, the photos may remain in iCloud up to 40 days and then are removed from all your devices that use iCloud Photo Library. If you’re not using iCloud Photo Library, your deleted photos are removed from your Mac only.

Restore recently deleted items

Deleted items remain in the Recently Deleted album for the number of days shown, and then are deleted permanently. You can view recently deleted items and restore them back into your Photos library.

1. Choose File > Show Recently Deleted.

2. Select the photos you want to restore.

3. Click Recover.

To delete recently deleted items immediately, select the items, then click Delete.

If you use Time Machine to back up your computer, you may be able to recover items after they are deleted permanently from your Mac or iCloud.

For more information on using Time Machine, see Restore a Photos library from a Time Machine backup.

Hope that helps,

- Judy

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 9:43 PM in response to Melaniefromnorth saanich

Hi Melaniefromnorth saanich,

Take a look at the Photos User Manual below. Is it possible you were deleting photos from an album and not from your library?

Delete photos and video - Photos Help
https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/index.html#/pht3bfab2f96

Delete photos and videos

Do one of the following:

• Delete a photo from an album, but not from your library: Select the items you want to delete, then press Delete.

• Delete a photo from a moment (placing it in the Recently Deleted album): Select the items you want to delete, press Delete, then click Delete.

• Delete a photo from a moment or album (placing it in the Recently Deleted album): Select the items you want to delete, then press Command-Delete.

Deleted photos and video aren’t immediately removed from your library; they’re placed in the Recently Deleted album, where they remain for the number of days shown, and then are deleted. You can recover the items before that period of time (see the next task). If you have iCloud Photo Library turned on, the photos may remain in iCloud up to 40 days and then are removed from all your devices that use iCloud Photo Library. If you’re not using iCloud Photo Library, your deleted photos are removed from your Mac only.

Restore recently deleted items

Deleted items remain in the Recently Deleted album for the number of days shown, and then are deleted permanently. You can view recently deleted items and restore them back into your Photos library.

1. Choose File > Show Recently Deleted.

2. Select the photos you want to restore.

3. Click Recover.

To delete recently deleted items immediately, select the items, then click Delete.

If you use Time Machine to back up your computer, you may be able to recover items after they are deleted permanently from your Mac or iCloud.

For more information on using Time Machine, see Restore a Photos library from a Time Machine backup.

Hope that helps,

- Judy

Why are deleted photos from Photos App not going to "recently deleted" file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.