Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes and App Store broken after recent update

There were updates that appeared today for Epson and Lexmark printers, as well as a security fix. I started it on one Mac in our studios and it's NOT happy on reboot. None of our iCloud accounts can log in and we get errors trying to connect iTunes using anyone's account. Errors are:

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “init.itunes.apple.com”.

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “p55-buy.itunes.apple.com”.

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “xp.apple.com”.

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “play.itunes.apple.com”.

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “securemetrics.apple.com”.

and they all say:

The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “play.itunes.apple.com”, which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the server anyway?

If the page does load, we're not getting full graphics, like the full HTML isn't loading.

I tried it on a second Mac, confirming the login worked, then started the update. Update HUNG with 10-seconds to go and sat there for almost 30-minutes. We forced a shut-down/reboot and now have the same results with all iCloud accounts.

Any ideas?

MacPro 2x2.4GHz 6-Core

16GB RAM

OS 10.9.5

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 10:55 AM

Delete the VeriSign certificates listed in 'login' in your Keychain, then restart all browsers/itunes/app store.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/180570/invalid-certificate-after-securi ty-update-2015-004-in-mavericks

7 replies

Apr 17, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Eric Seaberg

Safari certificate not recognized

From Safari Help

Change the trust settings of a certificate

You can view or change a certificate’strust policies in Keychain Access.

Open Keychain Access for me

1. In the Category list, select a category.
  2. Select a certificate, then choose File > Get Info.
  3. Click the Trust disclosure triangle to display the trust policies for the certificate.
  4. To override the trust policies, choose new trust settings from the pop-up menus.

Safari Certificate not recognized

What happens when you try to log into iCloud?

Apr 17, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Eric Root

I has nothing to do with Safari, and I'm using Firefox. iTunes wouldn't login, saying it failed... same with App Store. Couldn't even reinstall new OS because my computer couldn't be authorized with Apple. Fortunately, I had a disc image of Mavericks and reinstalled from that. Everything's beck to normal now.

We will do the same to the 2nd machine this happened on.

Thanks for the reply

Jun 9, 2015 1:50 PM in response to wakkoroti

Thank you so much, wakkoroti. I was frustrated for 2 weeks with the app store and internet connection issue. Tried everything mentioned in the OS X: "Cannot connect" or "Cannot connect to the App Store. An internet connection is required" - Apple Support. but nothing worked.

Your solution deleting Verisign certificate in login worked like a charm - app store and itunes opened without issues. Thanks again.

Oct 2, 2015 8:42 AM in response to wakkoroti

This was the solution for me (deleting Verisign certificates.)

But I also found that shutdown/restart was critical; after deleting the Verisign certificates, I couldn't sign in to App Store or iTunes (beach ball). I thought it might be an iCould thing so went to System Preferences to see...and System Preferences would not open. Aargh! Force quit all the hanging programs and did a restart.

All is well now.

Thanks, team, for the support here.

iTunes and App Store broken after recent update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.