Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Windows via bootcamp

I have tried 2 times to install Windows 8 to my Mac Pro 6.1 and both times it has failed I have watched and read a plethora of info on the subject and I'm very familiar with the process which I have done in the past on a Mac Pro 1.1 flawlessly on on to an external drive. Now it seems with this new Mac Pro 6.1 and can't install Windows 8 or install it to an external drive either. So I am at a loss. I have contacted applecare and have yet to find a solution it's going on over a year since I purchased my new Mac Pro 6.1 is this issue ever going to be fixed?

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Installing Windows 8 via bootcamp

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 1:31 PM

17 replies

Apr 16, 2015 1:41 PM in response to DheemanF04

It was in the partition and install on the windows side I gave it 40GB on the Mac side of the partition for the Windows OS then it said it wasn't enough on the Windows side in the initial install section and that the target drive wasn't big enough. Luckily I had everything on the Mac side backed up via Time Machine. I lost all access to the 40GB I allocated for the Windows OS install on the Mac side and had to reformat and reinstall OS X from a thumb drive and restore from my backup on both occasions. I didn't write down step by step what I did but I should have after my first trying since it failed. And yes I had the version of bootcamp I need for the system I have and all the appropriate drivers I needed for the windows side of things.

Apr 16, 2015 2:09 PM in response to DheemanF04

Use only Boot Camp Assistant or Mac-side tools The hatter recommends-- NOT any Windows-native tools -- to manipulate drive partitions or drive sizes. Windows does not acknowledge that it might be a guest and might have to be gentle with the Partition Map.

Otherwise Windows WILL clobber the Partition Map and wipe out your Mac OS X Installation.

Apr 16, 2015 2:22 PM in response to FredEFuego

Clone OS X with http://www.bombing.com

Use CampTuneX or BCA only

If you have 64GB RAM you would need 50GB + 64GB or reduce RAM down to less. 89GB partition usually works.

Apple lists system requirements and version of Windows:-)

I would use Windows 10 Tech Preview or 8.1

Disconnect all drives except the target, the ISO image or Windows install media.

Print the manual from BCA or link on BootCamp support page

Apr 16, 2015 6:32 PM in response to FredEFuego

1. Please ensure you are using a USB2 flash disk when BCA is started to build your installer. USB3 will not work, because Windows does not include USB3 drivers.

2. Your Cylinder Mac is capable of EFI-based Windows (it is Intel UEFI 2.0 compliant). Your really do not need BC Assistant, but you do need BC drivers for Apple-specific hardware. Partitioning can be directly done via DU for this to work, the format is Free Space.

3. If you are using Yosemite, it converts your disk to a CS volume. BCA in Yosemite has bugs when removing Windows, which can leave the disk space used by Windows dangling. BCA also fails in Yosemite while partitioning for the legacy BIOS installation (aka Hybrid MBR method).

4. On UEFI-compliant Macs, installing via CSM-BIOS makes the switching to and booting of Windows slower, because there is an additional layer between the firmware and the OS. On older Macs (prior to Late 2013), EFI is not supported.

5. W7 has quite a few bugs when working with EFI machines, but W8.1 does much better.

6. If you use W8+, do not enable sleep or use it. It causes device drivers to malfunction, because W8+ does not retain driver contexts properly. W7 is also similar.

Apr 16, 2015 6:46 PM in response to FredEFuego

No, it is not trash (or dustbin, as it is derisively called). The advantage with older MPs is the greater flexibility for storage and PCIe stuff. You can install Windows without any issues, provided you strictly follow the installation procedure. My list was not intended to scare you or dissuade you from doing what you need to do, but just caveats based on experiences.

If you are unable to get the space back into your internal SSD, I can give you Terminal commands, to fix such issues.

MP 6.1 will allow external Windows installation, if you use a TB external disk, so the functionality does exit, not as friendly as the MP 1.1. Hatter's suggestions will also allow you to move Windows to external disks.

Installing Windows via bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.