Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD on 2009 mac pro - best solution?

Hi guys,

I have a 2009 mac pro in my home (music) studio, and I'm thinking I'd like to speed it up a little.

It seems I can just buy 3.5" SSD units and insert them into the bays - please correct me if I'm wrong!

There's apparently also a second option, which involves a PCIexpress card controlling the SSDs.

Q: Which would be the fastest solution?

And which would the overall best solution, considering performance, price and convenience.

Thanks + cheers;

Eivind

Logic Studio, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), MacPro, 8-core, 2.3GHz, 16GB

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 12:30 AM

Correct SATA ones are slower the PCle ones. See:

SSD Blade Drive for "Classic" Mac Pro

Fastest SSD in Mac Pro 2006 thru 2012, Leopard and above

11 replies

Apr 16, 2015 1:20 PM in response to edvinpedvin

Some are mutually exclusive. Unless you mix and match.

PCI-Express SSD blade for performance 1100MB/sec

PCIe SATA III for cheaper and less in performance. Even with two in RAID0 it isn't 1100-1500MB/sec of Express blades.

Slot 2 & 3 or 4 would allow for two cards or controllers (blade does not use a controller, just an adapter) / slots 3&4 share a bridge and bandwidth.

Put the audio libraries on one 'device' and go with whatever capacity you want from 250GB up to 2TB (2 x 1TB)

Put the system on the smaller but fast "blade"

And even 4TB hdd in the drive bays are no slouch.

Part of it is in proper configuration and making the most of separate bandwidth.

Blades can go from $275 for 256GB w/ adapter up to $700 for 1TB

Apricorn Velocity Duo ~$90?

Samsung 850 EVO or Pro SSD that can go on SATA II or III and $95 250GB units up to $390 for 1TB.

I like the XP941 256GB with adapter unit for the system $275, then use the Duo and 850 EVO 500GB ($189) and add a 2nd 500GB later if desired. Similar basically to the Apple/Samsung:

Samsung XP941 256GB PCIe 2.0 x4 M.2 SSD MZHPU256HCGL at Amazon

Apple Samsung 1TB PCIe SSD for MacBook Pro Retina iMac Mac Pro Late 2013 2014 | eBay

SATA Express meets the '09 MacPro - Bootable NGFF PCIE SSD - Page 26 - MacRumors Forums

Samsung XP941 M.2 (NGFF) PCIe SSD in a Mac Pro tower

Apr 17, 2015 12:37 AM in response to The hatter

Hey guys,

thanks a lot for your replies!

But wow - this is a bit much at once. I realise I need to read up a little on the stuff you've sent me :-)

But my plan was to go for a smaller (250GB-ish) for the system, and a bigger one for audio (up to 1TB).

Bay 3 is for a backup HDD (which is, in turn, backed up to a NAS).

So I need two PCIe controllers then?

Like I said, I'll check out some of your links and most likely get back to this thread later.

Thanks again guys!

Eivind

System details 2009 macpro4,1 dual quad-core nehalem @ 2.26GHz and 16GB RAM.

Running Mavericks, Logic Studio 64-bit and Live 32-bit.

Apr 17, 2015 11:22 AM in response to The hatter

Ooh, I really shouldn't! 8-)

BTW, if I may ask one more thing:

Is this going to be a complicated setup?

I read something about it on Apricorn's page, but it did not mention whether some setup is needed to make the SSD's "visible" or even bootable as system partitions.

So after formatting/cloning/whatever I guess it just shows up as a mounted volume and then it's either:

1) automatically found during the boot sequence once the old boot drive is removed, OR

2) you choose in "system setup" (the app) to boot from the SSD.

Yes?

Cheers;

Eivind

May 16, 2015 11:41 AM in response to The hatter

Hey guys,

sorry to dig this one up again, but:

- IT seems the velocity duo is being phased out by Apricorn? It's the duo x2 on their website now.

- I need two volumes; one for my system ("Macintosh HD") and one for my audio projects, samples etc. ("Audio").

- I got a confusing remark from an Apricorn support agent, that the duo x2 won't support anything but RAID 0 or RAID1, i.e. two disks mapped as ONE volume in either Raid 0 or 1. To do two volumes, I need the velocity duo.

Question: Can any of you confirm this? I found that rephrasing my support question did not clear things up entirely.

If this is true, I better hurry get the velocity duo while Amazon still got them.

Thanks + cheers!

Eivind

May 18, 2015 3:02 AM in response to The hatter

Hey hatter,

I know what I want. But I dont understand what you're saying :-D

Whay do you mention flashed PC card...? Here's my wish list:

- I want two volumes.

- Preferrably on two SSD units, one each.

- I like the Samsung EVO 850. Good price for apparently good product.

- Apricorn insinuates that the velocity duo x2 wont give two volumes, only single RAID array = one volume).

If that is true about the duo x2, I need to get the duo. Provided that the duo gives me two volumes.

Do you happen to know these details?

Cheeeeers!

E.

SSD on 2009 mac pro - best solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.