Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Preview app stopped showing thumbnails

I'm running a Macbook Air 13" 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5.

I used to use Preview to rearrange pages in PDFs and concatenate 2 PDFs into one. Adobe Acrobat Reader won't do this, you need the full Adobe Acrobat which is very expensive, but Preview was a nice workaround. One day about a month ago, the sidebar showing page thumbnails went black and I can't seem to fix it. I have restarted, but I'm not sure what else to try. Anyone else having this issue, or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 5:05 PM

7 replies

Apr 21, 2015 9:44 AM in response to zuzuman

You are welcome.

Do a backup.

Quit Preview.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Remove the following. You may not find them all. Restart and test.

Containers/com.apple.Preview

Containers/com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

Credit Linc Davis for this solution.

Apr 24, 2015 11:23 AM in response to zuzuman

You are welcome. You would need to reinstall the entire operating system. Below is how to do that if you decide to.

Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Then re-install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Mac OS Preview app stopped showing thumbnails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.