Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving file to trash immediately deletes it

I just "updated" my MBA from Lion to Mountain Lion. Imagine my surprise whenever I try to move a file to the trash, I'm told it will be immediately deleted! I can't find a setting to make it like it was in Lion, i.e. stay in the trash until I decide to delete it. Where is the trash action setting?

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 4:09 PM

6 replies

Apr 16, 2015 4:13 PM in response to romad

Click on the item in the Finder's sidebar with the house icon and verify that you are able to write to this folder in the Sharing & Permissions section of the Get Info window, and that it isn't locked; if it is already set this way and you get that error, choose Utilities from the Finder's Go menu, open the AppleScript Editor, and run the following:

do shell script "mkdir ~/.Trash"

If you get a message stating that the folder exists, run the following:

set theUID to (do shell script "echo $UID")

do shell script "chown " & theUID & " ~/.Trash" with administrator privileges

do shell script "chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash"

tell application "Finder" to quit

delay 2

tell application "Finder" to run

(126160)

Apr 16, 2015 7:02 PM in response to Niel

OK, the Get Info for my~ folder says I can only "Read" even though I am the administrator; only "user" has "Read & Write" permission. Itried the AppleScript Editor procedure and was told:

AppleScript Error

sh: mkdir~/.Trash: No such file or directory

I just tried again and this time the error message reads: mkdir: /Users/dbswaney2/.Trash: Permission denied

I am the only account on the machine and my account is the Admin account.

So what next?

Moving file to trash immediately deletes it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.