Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 Music App Bug

SInce updating to 8.3 the Music app no longer remembers where it left off on Shuffle play after closing the app. I've checked settings, rebooted, etc. What am I missing?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 8:46 AM

Since updating to the 8.3 I've also had the same issue with the music player not remembering the shuffle after closing the app. This is likely a bug that Apple needs to fix!!!! Very annoying because I don't want to have to keep playing music over and over again... Your not missing anything Gareth Glynn, this is a total iOS bug issue. We might have to wait for a future iOS 8.3.1 but that seems unlikely at this point according to reports. Probably the best possibility to get a fix for the issue is to wait for iOS 8.4 where apple is working on the music app for a new look and features. Expect it at around June before WWDC so might have to deal with it for a while.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 8:46 AM in response to GarethGlynn

Since updating to the 8.3 I've also had the same issue with the music player not remembering the shuffle after closing the app. This is likely a bug that Apple needs to fix!!!! Very annoying because I don't want to have to keep playing music over and over again... Your not missing anything Gareth Glynn, this is a total iOS bug issue. We might have to wait for a future iOS 8.3.1 but that seems unlikely at this point according to reports. Probably the best possibility to get a fix for the issue is to wait for iOS 8.4 where apple is working on the music app for a new look and features. Expect it at around June before WWDC so might have to deal with it for a while.

Apr 19, 2015 11:06 AM in response to GarethGlynn

I completely agree with you and I don't think this is an isolated incident only to the iPhone 5S but any other iPhone running the software.. If they removed it for a reason than yes your right it would be the stupidest move since the removal of cover flow in itunes. Still I'm not seeing this on any other chat forums so not sure how widespread it actually is. Before we jump to conclusions at this point let's just hope Apple is reading this so that they fix this immediately!!! I kinda found a little workaround to keep the song list shuffled. If you press play from control centre it will shuffle music and if you keep controlling it from their it will prevent you from quitting the music app and losing the shuffle... However if you want to us another app in the background to track sleep (like I do) then it will void it but that's the only thing I've figured out.

Apr 20, 2015 12:22 PM in response to gjwingfield

It is certainly annoying and don't get me wrong I think Apple needs to fix this ASAP because if your a hard core music person that listens to music on an iPhone everyday the shuffling aspect can't be anymore annoying. And with that amount of songs I can see the nuisance. The hope is that Apple is reading these forums (which they do) to get the issues that are most pressing to millions of users. Many reports were speculating of an iOS 8.3.1 update to address an issue with Touch ID etc but that didn't happen and not likely to happen. iOS 8.4 is in it's early development stages at the moment so give it around 6 Betas before public release. I know that's annoying and no question we shouldn't have to wait that long for an update to fix something that is so important and is annoying people!! The early reports of iOS 8.4 and people using the new Music Player are nothing shy of exceptional, they give more customization with music shuffling and editing playlists so that's a positive for the issue to be fixed. But the bigger thing is of course rumours about the Beats Music Streaming service at WWDC so that's why it would make sense for the public release to be in May. Keep your fingers crossed still for a mini update before that.. At this point optimism and staying positive might convince apple to do something about it.

Apr 22, 2015 4:22 PM in response to GarethGlynn

Hey Gareth Glynn: I've got a solution!!!!!! This isn't permanent but it's a suggestion to make sure that your shuffle stays intact. If your running iOS 8 you know you can install widgets in the notification centre. There is a widget called Next, (it's free!!). Install this free widget which will link to your music but it will by pass the music player and control centre. I've just tried this and it's completely separate from the Music player in iOS so no need to quit the app or go to something else that will throw the shuffle off. 🙂 This is as I say temporary and hope it works.

Apr 23, 2015 4:55 PM in response to GarethGlynn

Oh ok no problem.. Not many people would care to know about widgets, some people think they are useless but I believe they can be quite informative.

Ok here are the steps:

1. Launch the App store and go to the search pane along the bottom

2. Keyword search "Next Widget", and it should be the second one down from the top. It has two fast forward icons like the keyboard.

3. Download and install it it's FREE! Once it's done installing a small icon on your home screen but it's small so it doesn't take up a lot of memory.

4. Go to your notification centre and scroll to the bottom where you will see a button that says "Edit" with a 1 new widget available.

5. Tap Edit and tap the plus to add it to your notification centre, (you can customize where widgets go.) Tap Done.

6. You will see shuffle and a panel along the left side, song etc along the bottom, and play/pause, forward and rewind along the top.

Now one thing to keep in mind.. I'm not sure about playlists or albums but what you should see are a few songs and as long as the shuffle icon is enabled if you press play it will shuffle your music. What I've discovered is that once you press play/pause from here you can navigate through the shuffle without worrying about the music player or control centre. You can still control it from control centre but the source of control is in your notification centre.

iOS 8.3 Music App Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.