Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo albums - Where did they go?

I try to sync my iPhone 5s to my iMac weekly. Today when I launched iTunes , I also launched the new photo app so I could transfer photos from my iPhone to my photo albums on my iMac. I can't find a way to do that anymore. The new photos app does not show my albums and the help menu is of no help. I likes the "old" iPhoto. Where is it and what happened to all my photos and albums, some going back to the first iPhone? Thanks for any help...

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 8:27 AM

You need iTunes 12.1.2 to be able to sync photos between mobile devices and Photos. You an download it here: iTunes 12.1.2

The new photos app does not show my albums and the help menu is of no help. I likes the "old" iPhoto.

You need to open the sidebar in Photos. The key combination of Option+Command+S will toggle the sidebar open and closed. The albums will be there. All of the iPhoto Events are represented as album in the folder titled "iPhoto Events".

Moments in Photo are the new Events. There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When the library was first migrated there was a folder created titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events are represented by an album in the folder. To open the sidebar if it's not open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Album/Events can only be sorted by Title. Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2015 8:27 AM in response to wsbridgeman

You need iTunes 12.1.2 to be able to sync photos between mobile devices and Photos. You an download it here: iTunes 12.1.2

The new photos app does not show my albums and the help menu is of no help. I likes the "old" iPhoto.

You need to open the sidebar in Photos. The key combination of Option+Command+S will toggle the sidebar open and closed. The albums will be there. All of the iPhoto Events are represented as album in the folder titled "iPhoto Events".

Moments in Photo are the new Events. There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When the library was first migrated there was a folder created titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events are represented by an album in the folder. To open the sidebar if it's not open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Album/Events can only be sorted by Title. Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the help. I was able to get the side bar to open. However, I still do not have any of my albums or pics. The only pics currently showing in the "Photos" app are those few I added while syncing yesterday. I do have all the old pics on my HD and I guess I could take a few years to re-import them into albums, but I'd rather do something more enjoyable with the rest of my life. Any other suggestions on getting back all my albums from the old iPhoto?

Again thanks,

Joe

Apr 17, 2015 9:18 AM in response to wsbridgeman

Restore a the backup copy of the iPhoto Library made just prior to you converting it to Photos. If you can still run iPhoto on your Mac launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and run First Aid Options #1 and #4 on the library.

Launch Photos with the Option key held down and open/convert the newly restored iPhoto Library. See if that will produce a Photos library with all of your Events and albums.

Photo albums - Where did they go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.