Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV does not connect with my library. I read I need to try changing the name of library. Can someone tell me how?

When I try to go to my computer on Apple TV, it doesn't recognize the computer. I read to try renaming my library and I did that. It didn't help but now I can't figure out how to change it back to the original name. I have 2nd generation Apple TV. Mac is using OS X Yosemite, version 10.10.2.

I know this seems elemental to Mac users but not to me. Would appreciate wny help you can give me.

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 5:51 PM

1 reply

Apr 19, 2015 2:22 PM in response to jdspirit

Good Afternoon, jdspirit,

I understand you are trying to set up your Apple TV, but it doesn't recognize your computer. It also appears you may have changed the name of your iTunes library? Does the library open when you launch the iTunes application on your Mac?

Here is what the files should look like on your computer:

iTunes: What are the iTunes library files? - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201610

Location of the iTunes library files

Mac OS X
/Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl
/Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml

Here's how to set up Home Sharing for your Apple TV:

Setting up Home Sharing for Apple TV (2nd generation and 3rd generation) - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202113

• Avoid using different versions of iTunes, or you may be unable to locate content, or may import or transfer content to the wrong location.
  • If you changed the location of your iTunes Music folder using iTunes > Preferences > Advanced, iTunes does not rename the iTunes Music folder to iTunes Media.

If this occurs, do not manually rename the iTunes Music folder. This could cause issues with locating or playing content.

If you have backed up your computer using Time Machine, you may be able to restore the library back to an earlier date before these changes were made.

Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

• Use the timeline on the right side of the window to reach a certain point back in time. The timeline shows the times of all backups on your backup drive. If you don’t know exactly when you deleted or changed a file, you can use the back arrow to tell Time Machine to travel through time to show you when that folder last changed.
  • You can also search for a file using a Finder window. From the Finder, enter Time Machine. Then, enter a search term in the search field of the Finder window. Use the back arrow to have Time Machine search through your backups to find what you are looking for.
  • To restore a file, select the file/folder and click the "Restore" button. The file will automatically be copied to the desktop or appropriate folder. If the file you are restoring has another file in the same location with the same name, you will be prompted to choose which file to keep or keep both. Right-click or control-click on a file in the Time Machine window to see additional options.
  • If you're not sure if you're restoring the right version of a file, you can use Quick Look to preview the file's contents first. Highlight the file and press the Space Bar to take a closer look.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Apple TV does not connect with my library. I read I need to try changing the name of library. Can someone tell me how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.