Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup Failed

I'm surprised at this warning - TM is supposed to start peeling off

old backups as to make room for new ones, no?

Tom

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Time Capsule 500MB

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 7:40 PM

TM can delete normal small incremental backups to create room for a new small incremental backup, but when the drive is full.......and......you have a larger than normal amount of data to back up, TM falls down and sends the message that you are seeing.

You really only have two options here.

1) Add another drive or Time Capsule and start TM backups going there.

2) Erase the existing drive and start over again with a new set of backups

A third, but very poor option is to try to manually delete older backups. This will take many hours, and very little space will be regained, so it will not be long before you see the same message again. Definitely not recommended.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2015 7:40 PM in response to Tom Meade1

TM can delete normal small incremental backups to create room for a new small incremental backup, but when the drive is full.......and......you have a larger than normal amount of data to back up, TM falls down and sends the message that you are seeing.

You really only have two options here.

1) Add another drive or Time Capsule and start TM backups going there.

2) Erase the existing drive and start over again with a new set of backups

A third, but very poor option is to try to manually delete older backups. This will take many hours, and very little space will be regained, so it will not be long before you see the same message again. Definitely not recommended.

Apr 16, 2015 9:54 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have been getting the following message:

Backup Failed

There isn't enough space on "TimeCapsule".

I have two Time Capsules, an old 500 gb one and a newer 2TB one. The backups alternate between the two.

I'm guessing the reply you gave to the OP would be true for me as well? I need to erase the drive on the 500GB Time Capsule and start fresh?

Thank you for your time!

Time Machine Backup Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.