Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet unreachable for 30-45 seconds after connecting to Time Capsule

I have a Time Capsule (latest generation) connected to a cable modem (with Comcast as ISP) and have noticed that after my Macbook Air (mid-2013) connects to the Time Capsule, there is an ~30-40 second delay before I can actually reach the internet. During this delay, I have a valid IP address from the router, but looking at the additional information about the connection by "alt clicking" the wifi icon in the menu bar, it states the internet is unreachable. After that delay, the information updates to say that the internet is reachable. I have no issues with staying connected to the internet or Time Capsule. I am not sure why this delay exists, and whether it is related to the router or to the modem (Comcast). Modem, router and computer restarts have not eliminated this "issue" and I put that in quotes because it is more of an inconvenience rather than a full blown issue. Still, I'd like to know more about what could be behind it (for my own tutelage).

My questions:

Are there any settings I can configure that would somehow minimize this delay, or perhaps eliminate it entirely?

Do I need to contact Comcast to troubleshoot further?

Do I need to provide additional information that would help troubleshoot the Time Capsule here at Apple Support Communities?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mid-2013

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 7:21 PM

4 replies

Apr 17, 2015 3:06 PM in response to jsumlin

This is a known problematic combo.

The SB6121 does not negotiate ethernet speeds with the TC properly.

You need to replace either the modem with a different brand.. eg Ubee (Zoom)

Or get a different router brand and use the TC in bridge..

Some people have success with a crossover cable.. instead of normal patch cable between the modem and the TC.. or a small 10/100 switch.. but those are work arounds that seem to have lower success rate now than they did.

Please do a search here for SB6121 or 6141.. there are lots of posts with the same sort of problems.. and it can get worse as time goes on.

internet unreachable for 30-45 seconds after connecting to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.