Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About iMac

I used MacBook Pro for so many years and now I would like to ask about iMac

iMac also same as Desktop computer? Ex when you're opening youtube in MacBook Pro/any laptop, process went high but in PC process very low.

Another thing is in a long term iMac parts upgradable/replaceable? I mean changing RAM, HDD, fan, processor, graphics card ETC...

Also one more thing I want to know what is actually difference between regular iMac and iMac retina display, I want to know when using in reality does it actually feels different or feels like something new? or just a better screen with add up price?

This will help me to decide to buy iMac in the future.

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 8:41 PM

iMac is a desktop computer.

You cannot upgrade/replace parts in iMac - it is sealed, but on the 27" you can add RAM only; on the 21.5", you cannot, so you need to order it with as much RAM, hard drive, etc. as you want.

The retina display has a better resolution. Here is some info on it:

http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/

10 replies

Apr 16, 2015 9:26 PM in response to babowa

babowa has covered the main points nicely.

The 5k iMac is ideally suited for video editing, or wide-screen video presentation; the image is notably brighter and more detailed. You won't be able to find a pixel. The regular iMac still has a nice display, and the video presentation will still be excellent.

The 5k iMac only comes in 27", and the 21.5" Retina probably won't be available until September (or whenever it's announced).

Frankly, if you do only basic computer tasks like web browsing, email and so on, the Retina display is probably overkill. I strongly suggest trying out both computers at the Apple Store before buying. Trying different models made a big difference in my ultimate choice.

Apr 20, 2015 7:57 PM in response to tanawoot

You cannot predict how long an electronic device will last - I hope mine will last a long time, but, I don't expect much after the three year Applecare warranty expires. Why? Because most manufacturers make sure that their products last until after the warranty expires so they don't have to repair or replace anything. Manufacturers need to make money which means selling new products, so if it lasts 5 - 6 years, that is excellent for a computer, especially since they are outdated within a couple of months or so. Also remember that hard drives can fail any time and after 3 years, it would cost you quite a bit to have that replaced in the new iMacs which are glued shut.

About iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.