Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud drive and photos

Can anyone please explain the concept behind this confusing nightmare.

I have 7k photos on my mac at home. according to iCloud drive its suppose to uploading those photos and be store on the cloud fine great.

WHY in gods name are 7k photos now taking up every gig I have on my phone. Im sorry but this seems A@@ backwards to me my phone should be able to access them with out taking up local storage. AM I missing something here?

I have turned off the photo stream and the iCloud library just to get the space on my phone back.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 7:00 PM

4 replies

Apr 19, 2015 2:56 PM in response to code2medic

Hi code2medic,

You can adjust the iCloud Photo Library settings to "Optimize Storage" to free up space on your iPhone. I've highlighted the key information here for you. Click on the article for complete details.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204264

Can I use iCloud Photo Library to save space on my device?

iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos and videos in the original, high-resolution version. Follow these steps to choose how you store your photos and videos on your device:

• In iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera, then select a storage setting.
  • In OS X, click Photos > Preferences > iCloud, then select a storage setting.

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photo Library will keep your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device. Download Originals is the default setting for iOS devices with the free 5 GB storage plan and for all Mac devices.

Regards,

- Judy

Apr 19, 2015 3:38 PM in response to code2medic

When you change settings in the future think of consequences. That is what icloud photo library does and if that doesn't work - it is not for you.

Make better choices, photostream perhaps better for you then library. I think you are not alone...

iDevice Sync Query - IOS Photos & iCloud Photo Library over filling ipad iphone storage - what happens next?

Oct 2, 2015 1:42 AM in response to fromsouth

You try to sound helpful but just come off as a jerk. It's not much help to just say, "You should have know what you were getting yourself into."

I'm a programmer and a very technical person, and I still ran into the same problem.

iCloud photos on a device isn't working as people expect. My wife has an 89GB library and 64GB phone. We turned both iCloud Photo and Optimize Storage on on her phone and it filled up her entire phone leaving her with no space resulting in a phone that became totally useless. No app would open this point. This doesn't sound very optimized to a technical person as myself. Even the messaging on the phone says to turn Optimize Storage on if your device storage is running low. This doesn't work as one would expect because it still tries to use all the available storage space.

It should be smart enough to only download images as I try to view them. I don't need images from 2008 on my device unless I specifically try to view the image. That is what Optimize Storage should be.

Another option would be to go ahead and try to fill up the device. But as soon as another app tries to store something on the device remove images that have never been viewed on the device or that haven't been viewed in quite awhile.

With so many people have large libraries now this is something that Apple will need to address very soon.

iCloud drive and photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.